Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 9:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 The recent unpleasantness in Australia 
 Post subject: The recent unpleasantness in Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4523996.stm

...for an example.

It sounds semi-France like, except for the apparently more deliberately racial overtones.

I guess it really has nothing to do with firearms, other than Aussie's can't have them and the news (which *never* exaggerates) claimed roving bands of middle eastern youths attacking vehicles and windows in white suburbs, which kind of made me wonder if you could get away with that kind of thing in the US or would you end up taking fire from homeowners?

Which I know is not exactly legal, but does seem to fall into the "what exactly is legal in lawless chaos" category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually, it's the converse of France. The Australian natives are rioting because of this sudden influx of Muslims, mainly from Iran, Iraq, & Afghanistan. The Muslims have become criminals there. Here is the main part of the story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4519818.stm

And another part here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4522326.stm

and finally, here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4523426.stm

I can see a similar thing happening here eventually, but probably not with the Muslim community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Shouldn’t we be calling them insurgents or freedom fighter? If the term is good enough for the terrorists, I mean freedom fighters in Iraq then it should be good enough for France and Australia.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Hmm, Muslim immigrants becoming the local criminal class... Sounds a lot like Uptown!

I think an "insurgent" has to be a memeber of the local population, prior to the conflict. "Terrorist" refers to a style or tactic of operation. "Freedom fighter" is one that wouldn't apply to Iraq, they weren't free before, they aren't free now, and they aren't likely to become free in the future. Indeed, freedom is becoming harder and harder to find, even closer to home.

Post subject: The truth of what's been happening in Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I read this article that I stumbled across from THR with utter disbelief and dismay. It appears that"political correctness has tied the hands of the Constabulary in Australia. It's a rather lengthy article.

http://www.quadrant.org.au/php/archive_ ... cle_id=581

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Times had an article about it today, including a photo from the disturbance at the beach on Sunday where it was reported anyone looking "Lebanese" got thumped.

One of the theories was that this wasn't an outbreak of French-style mayhem but actually a Skinhead/Neonazi vs. Lebanese gang issue. The other more compelling theory is that it was just drunken mayhem on Sunday, followed by racial paranoia afterwards.

It does sound like there is something of a problem with unruly Lebanese immigrants, but it's hard to know without actually living there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Hmm, Muslim immigrants becoming the local criminal class... Sounds a lot like Uptown!

I think an "insurgent" has to be a memeber of the local population, prior to the conflict. "Terrorist" refers to a style or tactic of operation. "Freedom fighter" is one that wouldn't apply to Iraq, they weren't free before, they aren't free now, and they aren't likely to become free in the future. Indeed, freedom is becoming harder and harder to find, even closer to home.

Most of scum in Iraq are foriegn.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.