Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Power corrupts, especially when wielded by a small town cop. 
 Post subject: Power corrupts, especially when wielded by a small town cop.
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:40 pm 
Wise Elder

Obviously, the town police chief has never heard of JUDGMENT. Every day it gets harder and harder to respect the POLICE. The good acts (of some officers) are buried in the tsunami of abuse of power and bad judgment.

Quote:
Arrested, Strip-Searched, Jailed- For Making a Right Turn without Signal
By Phil Leggiere
May 9, 2008

From the "Because we've got a badge and you don't school of justice":

A Texas man with no prior record, or outstanding warrants, jailed for minor traffic infraction (and for failing to show proper deference i.e. asking questions). Police chief acknowledges he's never heard of an arrest for a turn signal infraction, but sides with arresting officer, simply saying state law gives him the power to arrest someone for many crimes, no matter how minor.

WFAA-Dallas reports:

Mark Robinson was driving through downtown Melissa last week when he was pulled over for failing the use his turn signal.

But instead of getting a ticket, the officer took the 24-year-old to jail. He was booked, strip searched, and sat for 3 hours with criminals. "People talking about using drugs and shooting heroin. They asked me what I was in there for and I said a turn signal violation," said Robinson.

There aren't any warrants out for Robinson. In fact he says he's never been in jail. But he does admit to challenging the officer's questions during the stop.

"It's just unacceptable to me to have my son thrown in jail for such a minor offense," said Mark Robinson, the father. His father thinks the officer assumed he had drugs because of his age, which he didn't.

"I think if they had stopped me in the same circumstances, I would have never gone to jail, or probably get a ticket," said the father.

In fact News 8 contacted various cities in Collin County, many of which have not made a single arrest this year for not using a turning signal. Even the police chief in Melissa acknowledges he's never seen this happen in his own city. "In the 6 years I've been the police chief, this is the first time," said Chief Duane Smith, Melissa PD.

But he stands behind his officer, saying state law gives him the power to arrest someone for many crimes, no matter how minor.

Hey Chief, there is a d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-c-e between power and judgment.

http://donttasemeblog.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

The LEOs in Texas must be nuts. My brother-in-laws best friend Gary was held for over 6 months on a narc charge after some illegal ailien said his truck looked similar to the truck a guy he bought drugs from was driving (didn't seem to make any difference that the perps truck was blue and Gary's is green). Gary allowed them to search his truck with dogs, they of course found nothing, but still booked him. A judge finally threw the case out because there was NO evidence at all. The dam prosecutor had kept postponing the trial while trying to drum up something she could use as evidence. I know Gary and he is not into any kind of drugs. Last I heard he is pursuing a legal recourse. They even ran his story on the local news as part of a series on this procecutor's record of similar false charging with no evidence. Makes one wonder how many false arrests are made. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Don't mess with Texas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:44 am 
Wise Elder

EAGSMN wrote:
The dam prosecutor had kept postponing the trial while trying to drum up something she could use as evidence. They even ran his story on the local news as part of a series on this procecutor's record of similar false charging with no evidence.

It's not just the cops. There are weak ego, powerlusting lawyers (Prosecutors) involved too. The entire CJ system is based on the we-they, old boy approach and has much less of a safety valve than it's designers intended or that you might think.

There is some "safety valve" on misapplication of the law (less in Minnesota appellate courts than we like to believe) but really none on bad facts (prosecutors often take cases to trial hoping they'll be able to dupe the jury). That's why the Landon Beard case is so surprising. If he'd been a civilian, they'd have gone to trial (because only the Defendant can really lose at trial - the prosecutor always goes home safe). It is not a level playing field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

EAGSMN wrote:
My brother-in-laws best friend Gary was held for over 6 months....SNIP... A judge finally threw the case out because there was NO evidence at all. The dam prosecutor had kept postponing the trial while trying to drum up something she could use as evidence.

I wonder how Texas' "speedy trial" demand for in-custody defendants is administrated.

IANAL, but I do believe that MN has a set number of days in which to bring a prisoner to trial after all pre-trial issues are done. I think 10 days for a misdemeanor; and is it 60 days for Gross Misd & Felonies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I heard about the strip search I thought we were talking about the security at Neverland Ranch - took a inute to sink in that it was Texas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.