Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Brooklyn Park police look for meth lab, find fish tank 
 Post subject: Brooklyn Park police look for meth lab, find fish tank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 am 

Quote:
Brooklyn Park police were looking for a meth lab, but they found a fish tank and the chemicals needed to maintain it.

And a few hours later, when the city sent a contractor to fix the door the police had smashed open Monday afternoon, it was obvious the city was trying to fix a mistake.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=509182

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to my world.

I just got a bill for the boarding of the door of the condo after the police battered the door in. So I get charged $400+ by the condo assoc. to replace the door (The MPD knocked the hinge side out of the door, the bolts held) and I get charged $190 by the city for a large piece of plywood and 4" screws drilled into the door frame every 8" (Nice of them to use an odd size security torx, so I'd have to get to an open hardware store and buy a specific bit and a driver to get in my own joint).

All this for a warrant which appears illegal. Under "cause" as in probable cause, nothing is listed. It is blank, but the judge still signed off on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:37 am 

Quote:
Brooklyn Park police were looking for a meth lab, but they found a fish tank and the chemicals needed to maintain it.

And a few hours later, when the city sent a contractor to fix the door the police had smashed open Monday afternoon, it was obvious the city was trying to fix a mistake.
It happened while Kathy Adams was sleeping.

"And the next thing I know, a police officer is trying to get me out bed," she said.

Adams, a 54-year-old former nurse who said she suffers from a bad back caused by a patient who attacked her a few years ago, was handcuffed. So was her 49-year-old husband.

"They brought us here and said once we clear that area, you can sit down and you will not speak to each other," she said.

Police were executing a search warrant signed by Hennepin County Judge Ivy Bernhardson, who believed there was probable cause the Adams's home was a meth lab.

Berhardson, who was appointed to the bench less than a year ago, did not return KARE 11's phone calls.

"Ohmigod," Adams said as she recalled police breaking down her door and flashing the search warrant. "I just kept saying to them, 'you've got the wrong house.' "

Police soon realized that themselves.

"From a cursory view, it doesn't look like our officers did anything wrong," said Capt. Greg Roehl.

Roehl said the drug task force was acting on a tip from a subcontractor for CenterPoint Energy, who had been in the home Friday to install a hot water heater.

"He got hit with a chemical smell that he said made him light headed, feel kind of nauseous," Roehl said.

The smell was vinegar, and maybe pickling lime, which were clearly marked in a bathroom Mr. Adams uses to mix chemicals for his salt water fish tank.

"I said, 'I call it his laboratory for his fish tanks,' " Mrs. Adams said, recalling her conversation with the CenterPoint technician. "I'm looking at the fish tank talking to this guy."

Police say there was no extended investigation, just an interview with the subcontractor.

"Everything this person told us turned out to be true, with the exception of what the purpose of the lab was," Roehl said.

Adams is looking for a lawyer.

"I could say that about my neighbor - I smelled something when I went in their house," she said. "Does that make it right for them to go in there and break the door down and cuff you? I think not!"

Police say the detective who asked for the search warrant is an 8 ½-year veteran, but he just started working in the drug task force.

CenterPoint energy maintains the home was "unsafe" and it would have "irresponsible" for the subcontractor not to report it.

Nice. Amateur Judge, amateur police officer, Big Brother CenterPoint Energy... makes for a safer community! Is there any recourse for these people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I guess detective work is not required when you are a detective. Lazy POS I hope BP and centerpoint are getting their check books out.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:13 pm 
On time out

Quote:
"From a cursory view, it doesn't look like our officers did anything wrong," said Capt. Greg Roehl.

Roehl said the drug task force was acting on a tip from a subcontractor for CenterPoint Energy, who had been in the home Friday to install a hot water heater.

"CenterPoint energy maintains the home was "unsafe" and it would have "irresponsible" for the subcontractor not to report it.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong? except breaking in the house with NO evidence, NO probable cause... Nothing Wrong except instead of asking a few more questions, maybe just asking to clarify a report......

How does Centerpoint KNOW the house was unsafe, did they run any tests? Did they have a COMPETENT investigator or technician visit the home under the pretext of an inspection of a subcontractor? No, The whole thing stinks, and stinks mightily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 pm 
Wise Elder

Judge (?) Ivy Bernhardson is up for re-election in 2008.

Anyone Hennepin County lawyers want to take her on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:47 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Start a campaign against centerpoint energy. Have them make a service call, but post a sign that says:

"Fish tank in premisis"
"Unsafe conditions -- Fish Tank Inside"
"Centerpoint Energy not permitted inside due to Unsafe Conditions." {picture of fish}

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.