Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 ATF Agents Burst Into Wrong House ( a BLOCK off!) 
 Post subject: ATF Agents Burst Into Wrong House ( a BLOCK off!)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.nbc6.net/news/15843682/detail.html

Quote:
ATF Agents Burst Into Wrong House
Mother, Toddler Inside Home When Officers Enter

POSTED: 9:15 am EDT April 10, 2008
UPDATED: 10:19 pm EDT April 10, 2008

MIAMI --
Officers from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives barged into a South Florida home Wednesday only to discover they had the wrong address.

The ATF agents were supposed to conduct a raid at a home in the 2600 block of Northwest 49th Terrace in northwest Miami-Dade County, but they were off by one block. They entered a house on Northwest 49th Street instead.

Philomaine Silvain and her 3-year-old son were among the innocent people inside the home when the agents came in.

Silvain pointed out damage to her front door.

"The door's right here," Silvain said. "There's a hole right here. It's broken."

Her back window was also broken from where federal agents fired canisters into the apartment at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The agents left the tear gas cans in the house, and Silvain kicked them out and into the street before dumping them into the garbage.

No one from the ATF would speak to NBC 6 on camera, but a representative said over the phone that it was an innocent mistake, agents apologized on the scene and ATF would repair any damages.

Silvain's door has already been fixed. However, she said she plans on speaking with a lawyer.

The officers did arrest the man they actually were looking for one street away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, if an officer on the street were to just randomly spray someone with OC, wouldn't that be criminal assault regardless of the badge?

Couldn't a good lawyer argue the same for the use of tear gas in this case?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:36 am 

mrokern wrote:
Ok, if an officer on the street were to just randomly spray someone with OC, wouldn't that be criminal assault regardless of the badge?

Couldn't a good lawyer argue the same for the use of tear gas in this case?

-Mark

Different situations, that's a personal contact, not serving a warrant.

In all honesty, they screwed up. They've owned partially up to it. I think they need to do more, and there is no reason why they couldn't put out a statement saying "Whoops, we're not perfect, we messed up, we will pay for damages and clean the house etc..." The ATF should have left an agent or two there to watch over the property and clean it up (aka remove the canisters)

(And then they need to go invest in a few Garmin GPS units...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:

Well, yeah, but if he was trying to spray a criminal and got some on you, it would be an accident. To carry the metaphor further, this is more akin to him grabbing someone he thinks is a criminal and spraying him. A case of mistaken identity.

But really, to get to the heart of the matter, these raids are in theory planned in advance. A cop on the street is very reactionary. The BATman raids are proactive.

I tend to think the BATmen like playing Jack Bauer too much. They like to get intel updated second by second over the cell phone from some guy in a dark room back at CTC.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
mrokern wrote:

Well, yeah, but if he was trying to spray a criminal and got some on you, it would be an accident. To carry the metaphor further, this is more akin to him grabbing someone he thinks is a criminal and spraying him. A case of mistaken identity.

But really, to get to the heart of the matter, these raids are in theory planned in advance. A cop on the street is very reactionary. The BATman raids are proactive.

I tend to think the BATmen like playing Jack Bauer too much. They like to get intel updated second by second over the cell phone from some guy in a dark room back at CTC.

Time for legislators to create the LEO version of malpractice suits.

I'm actually very pro-law enforcement. I'm also very concerned that too many of our CIVILIAN law enforcement agencies are becoming all too military in nature.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:

I'm actually very pro-law enforcement. I'm also very concerned that too many of our CIVILIAN law enforcement agencies are becoming all too military in nature.

-Mark

Well said, I don't think I could agree with you more Mark. Maybe the best solution would be to follow Dr. Pauls route of advice and get rid of the BATF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:

Sure, and how do you suppose they will fund the either the malpractice insurance premiums and/or the malpractice pool?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Sure, and how do you suppose they will fund the either the malpractice insurance premiums and/or the malpractice pool?

Simple, just limit lawsuits to actual damages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:53 pm 
Wise Elder

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Simple, just limit lawsuits to actual damages.

Won't work. Provides too little incentive for the citizen and her lawyer to go through all the inconvenience and hassle of suing the BATF.

This would work, though.
1. Full actual damages,
2. Civil penalty in all cases of $100,000 payable to the plaintiff, AND
3. Complete reimbursement for all costs of the litigation
including attorneys' fees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
mrokern wrote:

Ooo, ooo, I know this one....

Tax hikes?

Good point.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

EricMN wrote:
In all honesty, they screwed up. They've owned partially up to it. I think they need to do more, and there is no reason why they couldn't put out a statement saying "Whoops, we're not perfect, we messed up, we will pay for damages and clean the house etc..."

But they've hit the incorrect house before, therefore according to their own standards this mistake was <B><I>willful</i></b> and therefore worthy of criminal prosecution.

Just ask Ryan Horsley of Red's Trading Post in Idaho, or any of the other hundreds of dealers they've driven out of business for the heinous crime of putting 'Y' or 'N' on a form instead of writing out 'Yes' or 'No'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
1. Full actual damages,
2. Civil penalty in all cases of $100,000 payable to the plaintiff, AND
3. Complete reimbursement for all costs of the litigation including attorneys' fees.

You're far too generous! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:13 pm 
On time out

That all works, but really its just us as tax payers paying back us. What will work is Them paying US.

I have said this before. Individual awards are taken from the retirement funds and pay of the individual. dept wide awards come from operations budget. That means no OT, no raises, and maybe paycuts.

THIS and only this hits the guys doing the dumb stuff where it hurts, and it will help break down the blue wall, by costing honest cops money and making them resent the dumb and crooked ones, hopefully resulting in the good ones culling out the bad ones.

I have sat and listened to Minnesota Cops laugh at pay outs, the phrase "thats a tax hike" was frequently repeated when talking about beat downs and mistakes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.