Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mpls Cop to Deli man:If you touch me, you're going down 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

215 E. Hennepin
Mpls, MN 55414

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... iwloc=addr

Post subject: Re: Be careful, the deli is posted.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Not legally, mind you, it is up in the window on top of the door. It has been there for years, and, if I remember right, the wording is wrong.

Both SteveB and I looked carefully and we saw no sign, proper or otherwise.

I made sure to mention that I'd heard about their problems with the MPD, and that I figured giving them money would be a good way to show my support. The clerk laughed and agreed, then thanked me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I somehow missed this thread, but this is one of the greatest delis in the state. It is a ways away from the office in Eagan, but I try to make it up there as often as I can. The people there are always more then gracious hosts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 am 

I'm sorry I missed this one - I had been out sick on Wednesday, so didn't think I could sneak out of the office for a long lunch Thursday... Probably next time though - how soon do you guys want to go again?

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm only about 5 minutes away from there, so I could be convinced most any time... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

An interesting related story:
http://www.thebitchgirls.us/?p=8127
Quote:
I know just enough law enforcement guys who really are decent people, so I try to avoid lumping every single cop into negative stereotypes. I’ve even admitted before that I feel bad for falling into a default distrust mode because of the bad apples among them. (The really good guys don’t blame me for it because they see it, too.)

Anyway, if it were up to me, this officer would go in for some extra training.

Eric Bryant says he was sitting in the SanSai Japanese Grill on NW 21st and Hoyt on March 7 when he witnessed Officer Chad Stensgaard pull up and park his patrol car illegally, next to a “No Parking” sign.

Stensgaard walked into the restaurant wearing his police uniform, but did not make any arrests or citations. Instead, he turned his attention to the basketball game on television, according to Bryant. When Bryant asked Stensgaard about his vehicle, Stensgaard allegedly acknowledged being in a no-parking zone but asked Bryant, “If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the police be able to park in front of your house or have to park three blocks away and walk there?”

Bryant returned to his seat, and says shortly afterward he watched a restaurant employee hand the officer a plastic bag before he left. Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further.

“If he had acknowledged and corrected his error, we could have avoided this whole thing,” says Bryant. “But instead, he kept watching basketball and told me he wasn’t doing anything wrong.”

Now, using ORS 153.058, Bryant—as a private citizen—has initiated violation proceedings against Officer Stensgaard. Bryant alleges Stensgaard was in violation of state statutes on illegal parking, illegal stopping, obeying parking restrictions on state highways, and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle or ambulance—the violations carry fines totaling $540.

If the officer can’t tell the difference between responding to a crime for the burgled home and getting lunch while watching a game, then he needs extra training. Now, many of you will argue that he does know the difference, he was just being an asshole. To me, that doesn’t matter. He indicated to a citizen that he can’t tell the difference, and as a supervisor, I’d force him to do it as part of his lesson. If he knows he has to sit through shit training again every time he’s a smartass to a taxpayer, maybe he’ll think twice next time he opens his mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:33 am 
The Man

Interesting. Nowhere in the account does it have Stensgaard paying for his lunch.

Maybe, they, like MPD need to get a new t-shirt:

MPD
Gratuities accepted

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:33 pm 

Interesting. I used to park as closely as possible to where I was eating, even in places not normally considered parking spots, so long as they were not marked "No Parking" or otherwise impeded pedestrian traffic. Most folks seemed to appreciate the obvious reasons my squad was close at hand.

Conversely, as a civilian I once confronted a St. Cloud PD officer tying up one of about ten occupied parking stalls at the emergency entrance to St. Cloud Hospital. He was sitting in his car, reading, while waiting to pick-up someone from the ER when ready. I was presenting to the hospital, barely under my own power and probably should have come by ambulance. I told him I would not be able to ambulate from the parking lot and asked if he would kindly move his squad, so I could park. He asked where HE should put his squad - so, I told him. Up his @ss or on the GD sidewalk like the rest of the department.

His reply? "You're not feeling so hot, are you?" And moved his squad onto the very large apron alongside the sidewalk.

Floored me.

My favorite was while sitting in federal court waiting to appear on a fed prosecution case and the US Magistrate, Judge Mudd (if I recall correctly) was blowing through the tags issued by FPS downtown. He summoned the next violator, verified his name and case number and then asked if on such-and-such date had he parked in front of a sign that said NO PARKING posted in front of the federal building. Mr. Spitshine-3-Piece-Suit responded, "Yes, your honor, I did, but I am an FBI Agent!" He proceeded to flash his credentials to the judge. Without missing a beat, the judge asked, "Did the sign say NO PARKING EXCEPT FOR FBI AGENTS?" to which the agent replied, "No sir." The judge slapped his gavel and pointed to the side of the courtroom and said, "Pay the bailiff." The courtroom burst into applause.

(Hey, I'm pro-LE, of course, but this guy was over-the-top arrogant and the judge politely whipped his butt in public. Gotta' admit, it was a beautiful thing.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.