Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Speeding Ticket Taser 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't think many accidents are actually caused by speeding.

Inattention causes almost all accidents. Speed makes the accident more severe but speeding tickets don't really make us much safer.

We enforce speeding because it's easy. The laser does it almost automatically. Speeders actually pay their fines, we don't have to feed them in jail and they don't beat up the cop who arrests them. What's not to like about being a speed cop?

If just a few of the speed cops actually patrolled neighborhoods, instead of Snelling Avenue, we'd reduce serious crime.

IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:10 pm 
Wise Elder

Dick Unger wrote:

Inattention causes almost all accidents. Speed makes the accident more severe but speeding tickets don't really make us much safer.

Absolutely correct. Modern highways (even in rural Minnesota) and modern cars (even Kias) allow all but the most clumsy to take the "twisties" at TWICE the recommended speed. A driver with sufficient skill not to stomp the gas or the brakes on sand can handle the curves. Whats to say about 3 lane, concrete, interstate straightaways. Like guns, the car can outperform the driver at any speed.

Again, speed make the consequences of carelessness worse but the carelessness "causes" the incident.

Get a V1 and enjoy the road again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 pm 
1911 tainted

kimberman wrote:
Like guns, the car can outperform the driver at any speed.
Again, speed make the consequences of carelessness worse but the carelessness "causes" the incident.

With firearms in thought, also a very true statement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

We enforce speeding because it's easy. The laser does it almost automatically. Speeders actually pay their fines, we don't have to feed them in jail and they don't beat up the cop who arrests them. What's not to like about being a speed cop?

If just a few of the speed cops actually patrolled neighborhoods, instead of Snelling Avenue, we'd reduce serious crime.

IMHO

If speed were the cause of accidents, Germany would have thousands per day. The low travelling speed on the Autobahn is about 75 to 85 MPH and mid range speed is 100MPH+. The fast movers (the ones that aren't there when you check your mirror before pulling out to pass, but are once you get to the left lane) are doing from 140 to 200MPH.
That said when there is an accident, it is normally a fatality; and in the winter weather (such as it is) there tends to be large numbers of cars involved in an accident: typically 10 to 20 vehicles.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

WestSideGuy wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:
It's a shame we have lots of traffic cops to hassle motorists, but not enough police to investigate crimes.

Im not sure Im with you on this. The way I see it in the burbs where there is not a lot of violent crime, the cops can enforce the "other" laws that may not always be enforced by Minneapolis cops that spend much of their time hunting down shooting suspects.

I for one, am VERY HAPPY the the suburb I live in spends quite a bit of time on traffic enforcement. Maybe I am getting old but when I see people driving 50+ in a 30 or 35 zone I get really upset. Escpecially when I am walking with my kids.

Now hassling for tint too dark (I was cited for 46%, state law is 50%) is something I am on the fence about. But thats another story.

The point of traffic enforcment is to keep people on or near the roads safe. If there are a large number of officers just sitting around writing tickets in small town, mn, where there is not a lot of closeness between people and cars I think there are better things that money could be used for. Like buying books for the kids. On the other hand keeping people in the city from getting run over is a good idea.

I am going to say something that sort of amazes me. The U of M police appear to have a good strategy for this. They sit at one of the several difficult intersections around the U campus and ticket jay walkers and cars that push through the light when they shouldn't (i.e. there are people too close). Traffic flows better and you don't get drivers doing crazy shit around people to get try to make the light.

Oh and I started driving much better once I got my permit and started thinking about life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:35 pm 

Selurcspi wrote:
Darrell quoted that speeding tickets are worth $7Billion per year in revenue US wide and $14 Billion in premiums to the insurance companies.

Everytime I see a trooper parked in the median of a highway, I think, "Roadside Tax Collector"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

The point of traffic enforcment is to keep people on or near the roads safe. If there are a large number of officers just sitting around writing tickets in small town, mn, where there is not a lot of closeness between people and cars I think there are better things that money could be used for. Like buying books for the kids. On the other hand keeping people in the city from getting run over is a good idea.

On the other hand, since they need a certain number o f officers and need to have some sort of staffing level, when the officer is not otherwise occupied, paying attention to the small crimes is a good way to make sure they don't grow. That included a general disdain for the law and "harmless" crimes like speeding and etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:24 am 
Journeyman Member

Update to this story, state of Utah settles for $40,000 in civil suit, after county prosecutor did not charge patrolman, and the Utah State Patrol found no wrongdoing on officer's part.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8529728

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Now, the flip side of this is that traffic enforcement nets a HUGE number of non-traffic arrests. When someone is pulled over for bad driving (not just speeding), or equipment violations, there is a considerable likelihood that there is something else going on as well. The cops can't just put up roadblocks and check everyone for DUI, for example. But they can go downtown starting about 1AM or so, and pull over everyone they see with a license plate light out, expired tabs, or too-dark window tinting. This actually nabs many drunk drivers and a not-insignificant number of weapons in the hands of felons, drug possession, stolen cars, etc. And the nice thing about it is that it more than pays for itself, both in ticketing and other fines, and impound fees.

IIRC, MPD Traffic makes about 50 actual arrests per week, more per officer than any other division.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:44 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
Now, the flip side of this is that traffic enforcement nets a HUGE number of non-traffic arrests.
Yup. It's one of the -- IMHO, and all that -- legitimate reasons for it. (The legitimate arrests, that is; not the DWB stops that turn into booking a guy in for a nonexistent crime, say.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.