Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Discreet nontraditional carry 
 Post subject: Discreet nontraditional carry
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:44 am 
The Man

For purposes of this thread, I'd like to define "discreet nontraditional carry" as discreet carry that excludes conventional IWB or OWB holsters, with or without covering garments.

Of those, I've tried the following --

1. Smartcarry and Thunderwear -- terrific discretion, some delay in acquisition/retrieval. I like these a lot.

2. Vests. I use the 511 vest from time to time, both as a covering garment, and to carry a handgun in the hidden internal pocket. The only thing I don't like about either is that if you take off the vest, you're either carrying openly, or you've got to secure the vest if you're using it as a holster.

3. Kramer Undershirt holster -- a great idea. I hate it. Having polypropylene next to my skin is very uncomfortable for me. YMMV.

4. Carry shirts -- I own several 511 "tactical" shirts, and it's amazing how well they work.

Others?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:11 am 
Longtime Regular

No mention of Fanny Packs.

Even though they screem gun! (maybe just to me) they are a pretty comfortable carry method which allows the carry of additional 'stuff'. And they have an added benefit of not flopping around as you walk.

How do those 511 shirts keep your gun from bouncing up against you as you walk? Or don't they prevent it?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I've got something called an "Active Body Holster". It's neoprene and wraps around your middle and has a velcro pocket for a small auto.

I carry my BERSA in it when I want deep concealement or want to wear my shirt tucked in without a vest, sweater or sportcoat.

I wear it over an undershirt and under my shirt.

It's really quite secure and doesn't bounce at all. Neither does it constrict your breathing much.

Problems:

1. There is no quick access. You either need to pull your shirt out of your pants or unbutton at least one button on the front of your shirt. I haven't experimented with wearing a neck tie and leaving a button unbuttoned.

2. It holds body heat and moisture against your gun. You need to wipe your gun down and take it out of the holster when you aren't wearing it or it will rust very quickly. Haven't tried it with a stainless gun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Dunno if fanny packs scream "gun" to me, but they sure make people look dorky.

Vests... I'm not sure about vests. It's just not a common piece of clothing these days, no matter what kind of vest we are talking about. 90% of places were I usually go a vest would make one stick out like a sore thumb.

Now, due to both a recent topic here and the fact that I know some kilt wearers, I am wondering just how well would a thigh holster under a kilt work... That would certainly be unusual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
No mention of Fanny Packs.

Even though they screem gun! (maybe just to me) they are a pretty comfortable carry method which allows the carry of additional 'stuff'. And they have an added benefit of not flopping around as you walk.

How do those 511 shirts keep your gun from bouncing up against you as you walk? Or don't they prevent it?

Mostly-

Fanny packs are ok.. for some people. The main problem is that they've been out of fashion for about 10-15 years (so have I for that matter :roll: ).

Also, just like carrying in a purse, it's going to be where a crook is focusing his attention if he intends to rob you.

I've been looking for a messenger bag* that I can sew a good holster into.

* Don't call it a man purse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:13 am 
The Man

White Horseradish wrote:

Vests... I'm not sure about vests. It's just not a common piece of clothing these days, no matter what kind of vest we are talking about. 90% of places were I usually go a vest would make one stick out like a sore thumb.

Now, due to both a recent topic here and the fact that I know some kilt wearers, I am wondering just how well would a thigh holster under a kilt work... That would certainly be unusual.
Yup, it would. From the low level of interest in me buying a kilt, though, I don't think that I'll be experimenting with that any time soon. (Which is, of course, fine with me.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:

Well yeah, there is that, but if one combines a fanny pack, shorts and black socks! well now! you could open carry a conon on your back and NO ONE would notice.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:21 am 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
I've got something called an "Active Body Holster". It's neoprene and wraps around your middle and has a velcro pocket for a small auto.

I tried it. Works much better, I'd expect, for folks with less belly than me. Ditto for traditional bellybands.

(I have used a bellyband holster successfully, but it's been wrapped around my hips, not my belly. About the same as a tuckable IWB, all in all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I have one of those dorky fanny packs.

I wore it once in three years -- for a trip to the beach. I didn't intend to swim, but wanted to be able to jump in after the kids if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Maxpedition makes a nice shoulder style messenger bag - or "Man Purse"

I intend to buy one as I wore my other one out made by eastern mountain sports Ibought it in 93 and the buckle just broke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am 
The Man

I use my fanny pack a lot during the summer. Dorky? Sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you want a fanny pack that nobody will expect is hiding a gun, you must use this one:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
If you want a fanny pack that nobody will expect is hiding a gun, you must use this one:

Only problem is everyone runs away from you when you wear one like that... They expect you nag them to death or engage in unprovoked screaching... :lol:

Oddly, my fanny pack blends in among many others at every scout camp I've ever attended... But I will NOT wear green socks with red tops and green shorts!

I have to say, there is just something wrong about a man hiding his gun in his "neopreme" girdle! much less EVER having a need for a "thigh holster"... Give me dorky any day!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:12 pm 

I wear a blue fanny-pack when I bike. I figure that when I am out and about on the bike trails, I am the furthest from any help that I am going to be, so I carry a G17 and some spare mags.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: kilt _at_ scouts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:32 pm 

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Oddly, my fanny pack blends in among many others at every scout camp I've ever attended... But I will NOT wear green socks with red tops and green shorts!

I have to say, there is just something wrong about a man hiding his gun in his "neopreme" girdle! much less EVER having a need for a "thigh holster"... Give me dorky any day!

Heh, I wear my utilikilt at scout camp with the green and red socks, but I've not yet tried carrying with it. I suspect my IWB CTAC will work as well with it as it does pants.[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.