Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ordered my SmartCarry Holster. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

goalie wrote:
I just think that it would be unsafe to draw from inside my pants with the light trigger pull.

YMMV.

You know you should keep your finger off the trigger until you have something to point at. :wink:

Also you should not play with your 'gun' in your pants! :lol:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:14 pm 

Srigs wrote:
goalie wrote:
I just think that it would be unsafe to draw from inside my pants with the light trigger pull.

YMMV.

You know you should keep your finger off the trigger until you have something to point at. :wink:

If you think that reaching into your pants, below the belt-line, getting a firing grip and drawing when you really NEED a gun 2 seconds ago is going to be a "snag-free" operation, I know a guy named Murphy who you should talk to.

Anyhow, I just stated what I would not do: carry a specific handgun, one that happens to have a light trigger pull and no manual safety, in a smartcarry holster. You may be a much more skilled pistolero than me. You may be much faster on the draw (despite the disadvantages inherent in the smartcarry design), and you may be perfectly safe drawing from a smartcarry holster while being attacked. You might even be so damn fast that even with a smartcarry you'll be fast enough to stay alive in a gunfight without shooting your nuts off on the draw.

Me though, I just think it is unsafe WITH THAT PARTICULAR WEAPON PLATFORM, and I think it provides an awkward presentation that is too slow for me to seriously consider using.

YMMV

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seems to me that each option for carry and concealment out there was designed with a particular situation or type of carry in mind.

Often there is a trade off between access, retention, concealment, and comfort.

I could see using the Smart Carry system when absolute discretion is required. I might even use it to complement pocket carry in some circumstances. In circumstances where I'd want absolute deep concealment while at an event , I could then slip away to the restroom and transiion to pocket carry on a snubby for the trip to and from the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
In circumstances where I'd want absolute deep concealment while at an event , I could then slip away to the restroom and transiion to pocket carry on a snubby for the trip to and from the event.

That works great and I have done that exact thing. Or, small pistol in the pocket and larger gun in Smartcarry.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:49 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Pinnacle is not being silly - never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.....

Where have we seen this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:40 pm 

I've found that most naysayers regarding Thunderwear or SmartCary have not actually tried the product. Admittedly, I used to be one of those naysayers.

In some situations SmartCarry means being armed when another method of carry won't work for me--that's not a difficult decision for me to make. I have four different methods of carry that I use and they all have their strengths, and their weaknesses.

If you want to put the product to the test, the owner of SmartCarry offers a generous 60 day trial period, so I suggest giving it a try with an open mind and then react.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 pm 
First-time poster

:( Hi, new member, I have a smart carry for my Makarov. The two biggest drawbacks I have with it are I have a slight gut and when you pull up to a urinal, you have to shift things around alittle to access the other "gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:46 am 
Longtime Regular

dearlh wrote:
:( Hi, new member, I have a smart carry for my Makarov. The two biggest drawbacks I have with it are I have a slight gut and when you pull up to a urinal, you have to shift things around alittle to access the other "gun".

Welcome to the forum. Keep posting and ask a ton of questions.

I have found that both are true for me also. :?

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm finding that I have trouble finding pants loose enough (or pleated front...without the tiny funnel ankles) to conceal the my SmartCarried XD-9 SC. The barrel/slide hides just fine. It's the grips that don't hide right. It looks like I have a box of toothpaste in my pants. I know they say that the wearer has the worst view, but it just doesn't look right and I worry that it will wear out my pants quickly.

I do wear SmartCarry when I need to dress lighter. I just wear my shirt or blouse out to cover the grips.

Maybe it is a girl thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's a girl thing. Your girl fashions don't run as baggy as our guy fashions.

Maybe get a flatter gun? :)

Perhaps you have some trusted friends who you could ask to stare at your crotch and tell you whether it's obvious... :)

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Perhaps you have some trusted friends who you could ask to stare at your crotch and tell you whether it's obvious... :)

ROFL It's not the crotch that's the problem, but the abdomen area where the grip is. Now I KNOW why that one female customer on the SmartCarry site could just slightly lift her shirt to expose the grip of her gun. She has to wear it that high to keep it from looking like she's got a box of toothpaste in her pants! :LOL:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, wearing the grip directly under the waistband is one way to deal with the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:40 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Well, wearing the grip directly under the waistband is one way to deal with the issue.

Until you sit down.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Besides carring the holster higher so the wasteband is covering the grip you could get a shorter gripped gun. Another throught is to shift the holster to your left so the gun is shifted over it may help a little.

In shorts one in a while the grip pokes out with my medium frame double stack S&W 6946 but when I use my shorter grip Kel-tec P11 no issue. For me it is generally not an issue it just looks like a poped out pleat.

Pleats are a must and single stack would make a world of difference. A Kel-tec P380 or P32 just disapears in the holster or a single stack version of the XD would work also.

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Srigs, it isn't the length of the grip. This is the shortest grip I'd feel comfortable wearing. It's quite short. But I do think your suggestion of a single stack is probably a good one. Time to look at the BDM and see if it is slimmer. I'm also considering a Kahr for back up gun/ stand in gun, so this might be perfect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.