Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Discreet nontraditional carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:27 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Hey I am harmless....

Until I see something that I dont like - and I didnt like that guy - let him fixate on me - thats fine.... I could basicallt care less..... He is not likely to mess with me - but if he were yo do so - well lets just say it would have been over very quickly one way or the other.

Unlikely that guy wanted to play.... Smart move on his behalf - I think ---- ahhhh I KNOW we had more firepower in that parking lot than the MN National Guard..... [given the crowd]

Must have offended him with that that snazzy flowered shirt!!!

[dont let me give you any bs- that was a nice shirt.....]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:42 pm 

Ok, I looked at the maxpedition site.
Any other manufactureres anyone can recommend for a manpurse? (see, I used it this time!!)
I think that this would be a very good option for me, but would rather find one that I could physically look at and touch in a retail store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:53 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:

Must have offended him with that that snazzy flowered shirt!!!

[dont let me give you any bs- that was a nice shirt.....]

I love looking harmless. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:43 pm 

ChillyW wrote:
squib_joe wrote:
Those look tough and roomy. I might have to give them a call

I just ordered the fatboy version, which is smaller than the jumbo. I don't know that it's big enough to carry a weapon in, but I'd be leery of carrying in a bag that's a potential target for thieves and something that's easily detachable from my body anyway.

Tito Jackson wrote:

A question for people who use a sidebag (see! I avoided the word "manpurse"!)
If you use this as your carry method, does the bag go with you everywhere?
I could see aproblem with bringing a bag like this into a retail store. Do you just leave it in your car if going in somewhere, or is it always on your side?

Old Dude wrote:
Depends on the store and the size of the pack. I carried a sidepouch (see! I avoided the use of the word "manpurse" too!) for a while and never had a problem at any store.

It's a purse. Whatever you want to call it, it's still a bag for carrying around personal items. Purse, manpurse, tactical portable equipment carrier, whatever. Me? I carry a purse, and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks about it or calls it.

And as long as you have that attitude, it makes it pretty hard for anyone in retail to ask you to check it or leave it in your car. Unless they ask everyone carrying a purse to check theirs as well, they have no right to ask you to check yours. I don't think they're likely to ask 90-something percent of all women to leave their purses in the car before they come in the store. Why let them discriminate against us men?

You know, the more I think about this, the more I like it!
Maybe this litigious society could work in my favor.
White, American, male, "what do you mean you have to look in my purse? Did you look in THAT woman's purse?
I'm sorry could you speak a little louder, my digital recorder is kinda sensitive!!!
Biotch!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:57 pm 

Eastern Mountain Sports used to make a great fanny pack - I still have one that needs a new buckle - read precious post.

This thing was great for carry - used it EVERYWHERE.

I will be seeing the President of Maxpedition Soon in Chesapeake VA - I will see if we can get a sample - professional courtesy......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:20 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
Eastern Mountain Sports used to make a great fanny pack - I still have one that needs a new buckle - read precious post.

This thing was great for carry - used it EVERYWHERE.

I will be seeing the President of Maxpedition Soon in Chesapeake VA - I will see if we can get a sample - professional courtesy......

Ohh! Ohh! I call dibbs!!!
Let me look at it 1st!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:

Seems to me that several Maxpedition packs that are not currently rigged for CCW could be very easily. Perhaps they could treat CCW like they do Left side carry for their Versipacks. Make a regular and a C version. The C version would have some specific changes to make CCW easier. Just a thought since you'e going to see the big cheese himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:42 am 

Tito Jackson wrote:
Ok, I looked at the maxpedition site.
Any other manufactureres anyone can recommend for a manpurse? (see, I used it this time!!)
I think that this would be a very good option for me, but would rather find one that I could physically look at and touch in a retail store.

I've been looking at the Fatboy for quite a while, just haven't had the funds available recently. On that note, if you want to go touch one you could see if Streicher's has one in stock.

They are located in Mpls on Hwy 55 (http://www.streichers.com/Support.aspx)

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 am 

I would approach the president of blackhawk far sooner than Maxpedition - I do a lot with Blackhawk - GREAT people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

This thread started out as "discrete, non-traditional carry." I think SOME of what Maxpedition has is discrete--especially if you don't order them in desert camo, but Blackhawk's stuff looks sooooo tactical (to me, at least) that even the nearly oblivious (which includes me some of the time) would wonder what's in that bag.

Some of what constitutes discrete depends on who's carrying it. To the general public, I probably look like a slightly dumpy, bald guy with a white goatee who carry's nothing more dangerous than a cell phone. I could stroll along with a Maxpedition pack and folks would assume I may have a camera in there rather than a Kimber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:37 am 

If you were worried about it looking "too tactical". you could probably go with something like this:
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/prod ... tfreak.htm

It has a drop in velcro divider that you can attach their univerals holter thingy to.
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/othe ... 501_03.jpg

and with the main pocket being 9x11 (according to them) you should be able to fit whatever gun you want in it.

Of course this is all based from photo's, so I can't really guarantee any of it would work.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

That Neat Freak looks about the size of the manpurses I carried at various times. All that said, however, I'm not particularly worried about looking tactical. Unless I wore a tactical vest with magazine bulging from every pocket, I'm not going to look very tactical at all.

Some young fellow with steely eyes and a steady gait is certainly always going to look more tactical than I. Where I work, people have come up to me and said, "Are you Security?" My response always is, "Good God, do you think we're that desparate?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
Some young fellow with steely eyes and a steady gait is certainly always going to look more tactical than I. Where I work, people have come up to me and said, "Are you Security?" My response always is, "Good God, do you think we're that desparate?"

Oh, I dunno.

"Don't fight an old man - he's got nothing to lose, and has learned all the dirty tricks you still don't know!"
- Preacherman on THR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:23 pm 

Old Dude wrote:
That Neat Freak looks about the size of the manpurses I carried at various times. All that said, however, I'm not particularly worried about looking tactical. Unless I wore a tactical vest with magazine bulging from every pocket, I'm not going to look very tactical at all.

Old Dude

You are right - it is not about lookint tactical - or not my work uniform happens to be a golf shirt and 5.11 pants and desert boots......

I do a lot of traveling - so I have a "kit" when I go to places where carry is verboten I still carry a knife - light - phone and a MAP of the city where I am going.

It works well for me - there is something comforting about having your stuff close at hand. I will tell you that when I was in Paris some time ago - My Surefire went with me. I do a lot of walking - come to find out Paris is one of the most dangerous places in the world.

Comforting to know that I had at least that with me. Packs are not fashion - tactical - or anything like that - just functional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:59 pm 

Nice to know I'm not the only one who uses that approach. I've got an 'organizer' from PSC Systems, http://www.concealcarry.com/about_anytimer.htm , that usually carries the 1911 and a spare mag when I need a discreet, off-body technique, but in areas where I'm prohibited it's got my Surefire C2, a CRKT Pesh Kabz, and my Blackberry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.