Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Any decent paddles out there, for Glock 29 specifically? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, that hurts, just thinking about it :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:23 pm 

The string he was in was just finishing up a drill. The string I was in were back in this small shed reloading mags, and we heard a "bang", then "Oh sh-t" from the deputy. The instructors, and two ER docs that were in the class were on him in a flash. He had an entry and exit hole in his upper leg, by some miracle missed his knee, and entry and exit in his lower leg. He was back the nest day (day 2), and made it through the rest of the week! Didn't do any kneeling or prone, though. His two comments were:"I really screwed up!" (editited for family viewing) and, "Don't call my wife-I've been waiting two years to get here, and I'm finishing the week!"
Scary stuff!
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

That's one of the reasons I'm planning on having the Cominolli safety installed on my Glock before I use it as a carry gun (in addition to fixing the ejection problems, too..).

Speaking of paddles, I got a Galco paddle today that went straight back to Galco. The leather part was top notch, but the paddle attachment left a lot to be desired. It just doesn't grip the belt like I'd like and seems a lot looser/flappier than even my 1066 in a belt holster with a loose belt.

I'm exchanging it for a for a Fletch, which I think will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:16 am 

I haven't heard of that safety before-how does it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:44 pm 
on probation

DonL wrote:
I'm agreeing with Goalie. In my humble opinion, when carrying a Glock (or anything else, for that matter), I want that trigger guard covered. Each to their own, though. In a class I was in at Gunsite (#350), a deputy sheriff from AK put a 230 grain Hydra-Shok in his leg when his BDU shirt cought on the trigger as he was holstering up his Glock 21 after a drill. That was lesson enough for me about covering the trigger guard.

Don Larson
MDL Inc.
UM make a good one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

DonL wrote:

I can't explain how it works from a mechanical standpoint. Installed it looks like the gun was designed for it; it adds a small up-down lever in approximately the same place you might find them on one of the S&W autos with frame-mounted decockers. It appears to lock up the 3 internal "safeties" to prevent firing, although the gun can be loaded and unloaded with it enabled so it doesn't lock out the slide or appear to decock the striker.

You could call Joe Cominolli yourself. I called him and was pleasantly surprised to get a call back. He was kind of hard to get rid of, in fact, but a nice guy and he will talk at length about the safety. Installation also does not void Glock's warranty.

It was featured in Massad Ayoob's column in the Sept/Oct "American Handgunner". He's a big proponent of on-safe carry (apparently -- I'm not an alcolyte so I don't know what he stands for per se) and goes on to quote several studies that show it takes a gun-snatcher 1.2 seconds to shoot an unfamiliar revolver or pistol while one with the safety on takes 17 seconds.

That same article has him doing "timed draw" tests where the average difference is around .1 slower for a safety-enhanced Glock vs. a stock one, thus making the argument that it doesn't take much away from real-world response time.

I like my Glock as a weapon, but for whatever reason I'm just not entirely comfortable with the idea that the "safety" is in the middle of the trigger. I think a 1911-style grip safety would make more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 pm 

I'm looking forward to seeing one of those safeties. I have my own "Carry Class", and the question about "having one in the pipe" comes up constantly. My standard reply is that " we all have to decide what we're comfortable with". As far as grip safties go, I know that some folks are choosing the XD over Glock for that very feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:49 pm 

DonL wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing one of those safeties. I have my own "Carry Class", and the question about "having one in the pipe" comes up constantly.

There are few things, if any, that are quite as useless as an unloaded handgun when you need a loaded one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:20 pm 
on probation

mobocracy wrote:
DonL wrote:

I can't explain how it works from a mechanical standpoint. Installed it looks like the gun was designed for it; it adds a small up-down lever in approximately the same place you might find them on one of the S&W autos with frame-mounted decockers. It appears to lock up the 3 internal "safeties" to prevent firing, although the gun can be loaded and unloaded with it enabled so it doesn't lock out the slide or appear to decock the striker.

You could call Joe Cominolli yourself. I called him and was pleasantly surprised to get a call back. He was kind of hard to get rid of, in fact, but a nice guy and he will talk at length about the safety. Installation also does not void Glock's warranty.

It was featured in Massad Ayoob's column in the Sept/Oct "American Handgunner". He's a big proponent of on-safe carry (apparently -- I'm not an alcolyte so I don't know what he stands for per se) and goes on to quote several studies that show it takes a gun-snatcher 1.2 seconds to shoot an unfamiliar revolver or pistol while one with the safety on takes 17 seconds.

That same article has him doing "timed draw" tests where the average difference is around .1 slower for a safety-enhanced Glock vs. a stock one, thus making the argument that it doesn't take much away from real-world response time.

I like my Glock as a weapon, but for whatever reason I'm just not entirely comfortable with the idea that the "safety" is in the middle of the trigger. I think a 1911-style grip safety would make more sense.
Check out this web site: www.clipdraw.com Ejects Instantly
Saf-T-Blok snaps easily into place and stays firmly in place until it is ejected by the trigger finger. Independent tests by Performance Shooting, Inc. showed that "0" time was added to draw and fire the weapon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:09 am 

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail ... rod=BH-410

I used to be a fobus freak till I came across these. Can be paddle or belt clip, both are included in the package, Fully adjustable tilt angle, and retention button on side. Covers to the end of my glock unlike the fobus. Doesnt require a king kong pull, since you can adjust the tension screw also. Im 135lbs soaking wet, yet my glock 21 is totally un noticable with just a sweatshirt over it. it hugs your side well. If the original poster is still looking for a paddle, try one of these out. Streichers stocks them both left/right for almost all the glocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

tbh wrote:
http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Duty%20Gear&Category=BELT_SLIDE&Prod=BH-410

I used to be a fobus freak till I came across these. Can be paddle or belt clip, both are included in the package, Fully adjustable tilt angle, and retention button on side. Covers to the end of my glock unlike the fobus. Doesnt require a king kong pull, since you can adjust the tension screw also. Im 135lbs soaking wet, yet my glock 21 is totally un noticable with just a sweatshirt over it. it hugs your side well. If the original poster is still looking for a paddle, try one of these out. Streichers stocks them both left/right for almost all the glocks.

Interesting item. I returned the Galco paddle I bought and exchanged it for a Galco Fletch belt holster, which I am perfectly happy with. Between that and my shoulder holster, I'm real happy and my holstering needs are covered for now. I may start looking into IWBs for the summer months, and possibly even at a snubbie for pocket carry.

Other than the paddle, I think I've had good luck with holsters. Most people seem to end up with a bunch they don't like. I've only had one, and I knew I could exchange it for another model. The three I have I wouldn't sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 pm 
On time out

I have a G&G paddle for my para ord and a galco for the commander. I really find the paddles to be nice when I am in warm weather and I am going to have to be working in customer houses where the appearance of my handgun might not be welcome. I just usually pull it off in the car, put the whole thing into my briefcase (an older Lands End soft case,) and walk to the door. That way If i am having to climb around or lay down to look at things (I am a contractor) it is out of the way. If the house has little kids, or teens in it, I just snap the little lock shut when I set the brief case down. It wouldn't stop anyone who wanted to from breaking it open, but it does prevent the looky loo kids from seeing anything.

I find that the Galco works best with jeans or work pants and a 1.5 inch belt, it really seems fairly secure and stays put until I want it off. I find that you develop a system of starting the paddle on your back, where you have a little more slack and then sliding it to your hip. the G&G is a slightly more comfortable paddle with Dockers or dress pants as it has a wider but softer paddle that seems to grab better with less of a belt on.

I had a G23 in a Safari land holster, but that is now with my dad, I think that was a good set up too, That was an adjustable cant holster and my dad needs his laid fairly far forward.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.