Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:36 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Been trying pocket carry,my thoughts 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

dcwn.45 wrote:
I had to go to a wedding/rehearsal dinner...

Now I'm thinking about the benefits of cummerbund carry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
dcwn.45 wrote:

Belly Band :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
dcwn.45 wrote:

Tactical Cummerbunds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:54 am 
Journeyman Member

I have been considering pocket carry for when I am at work. The dress code is typically dress pants and polo type shirt tucked in. I am not a big fan of IWB probably because of the size of my current handguns and I suppose a lack of room in there. So I have a couple of questions:

Recomendations on small frame, light weight semi-auto or revolver?

And how does a pocket holster stay in your pocket if you ever had to draw your weapon?

And finally what are people opinions on carrying at work without informing your employer that does not post a sign or have any written policy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 am 
Longtime Regular

s10trev wrote:

Snubby airweight .38spl, Kahr or Kel-Tec.

Quote:
And how does a pocket holster stay in your pocket if you ever had to draw your weapon?

The outside of the holster is "sticky" -- either the suede side of leather, rubbery stuff, or neoprene, usually.

Quote:
And finally what are people opinions on carrying at work without informing your employer that does not post a sign or have any written policy?

Conceal thoroughly and keep your mouth shut. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:38 am 
The Man

s10trev wrote:
I have been considering pocket carry for when I am at work. The dress code is typically dress pants and polo type shirt tucked in. I am not a big fan of IWB probably because of the size of my current handguns and I suppose a lack of room in there. So I have a couple of questions:

Recommendation: S&W 642. It's not the only choice, of course, but it's hard to beat. For pocket carry of a semiauto, I go with the Kahr PM9; there's lots of good choices. That said, I think a revolver is a better deal for pocket carry than a semiauto; I spend a fair amount of time discussing the issue in TCCarry.

It stays in the pocket, typically, because of some combination of gravity, stickiness of the outside of the pocket holster, and shape, so that it catches on the pocket, while the gun doesn't.

You carry at work, unless your employer has told you that you can, at your own risk. Even if there's no policy -- written or oral -- you can be terminated for carrying, or for nothing at all, if your employer decides to. Of course, that can't happen if nobody at your work knows that you carry -- but assume that if one person does, everybody will.

That said, carry in the parking lot/ramp is protected by law, and employers may not regulate it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Even if there's no policy -- written or oral -- you can be terminated for carrying, or for nothing at all, if your employer decides to.

joelr wrote:
That said, carry in the parking lot/ramp is protected by law, and employers may not regulate it.

So can a permit holder be terminated for securing his firearm in his vehicle while parked in the company parking lot or not?

...Sorry, the 2 quotes seem somewhat opposed to one another to this simple mind...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 am 
The Man

e5usmc wrote:
So can a permit holder be terminated for securing his firearm in his vehicle while parked in the company parking lot or not?
No. Not lawfully.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:49 pm 

joelr wrote:
e5usmc wrote:
No. Not lawfully.

I think I disagree with you here Joel. An employer does not need a reason to terminate you as long as you cannot prove that it's because of your age, race, religion etc.

If they want to fire you because someone saw you lawfully securing a firearm in your car in their parking lot, I'm pretty sure that they can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

eLRoy wrote:
joelr wrote:
e5usmc wrote:
No. Not lawfully.

I think I disagree with you here Joel. An employer does not need a reason to terminate you as long as you cannot prove that it's because of your age, race, religion etc.

If they want to fire you because someone saw you lawfully securing a firearm in your car in their parking lot, I'm pretty sure that they can.

I believe they cn terminate you for any or no reason OR they can use the incident as incentive to start looking for a reason. But if they state they fired you for activity specifically covered and lawful in MN Statute, a good lawyer could make a case for wrongful termination. I am not a Lawyer, and this is NOT legal advice :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:57 pm 
The Man

eLRoy wrote:
joelr wrote:
e5usmc wrote:
No. Not lawfully.

Oh, they can terminate your for no reason; they can't fire you for doing something they're legally prevented from restricting you doing.

See Minn. Stat. 624.714.

That said, if they do fire you for having a firearm in the parking lot, you'll be very lucky if they admit it. But if they do, they're toast.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 pm 

All the more reason to carry concealed and to not advertise that you carry concealed. I do not want anyone at work to know that I even have a permit. No sense taking chances with my source of income.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Depends on where you work. I work for Hennepin County and cannot carry at work as a condition of employment.

That said, many of the people where I work know I have a carry permit. One said I inspired him to get his. Some know I teach carry permit classes. Other than surprising some folks (I don't seem the type, I guess), no real problem with it.

We know that employers can't (legally) fire you for keeping a gun in your car in their parking lot. Does this also hold true for parking garages controlled by the employer and a part of the building?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
We know that employers can't (legally) fire you for keeping a gun in your car in their parking lot. Does this also hold true for parking garages controlled by the employer and a part of the building?

Yes, it does.
624.714(17)(c) wrote:
The owner or operator of a private establishment may
not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a
parking facility or parking area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thank you, sir.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.