Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:02 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ordered my SmartCarry Holster. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

No matter how well it works, I just couldn't bring myself to use something called "Thunderwear".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
No matter how well it works, I just couldn't bring myself to use something called "Thunderwear".

The good news is Smartcarry is designed different than Thunderwear. I'm being 'Smart'. :lol:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:37 am 

I have had a SmartCarry for years and would like to point out a problem I have with this holster. I have a couple of small kids who want to climb in my lap. When I am sitting down and they walk up to between my legs, the muzzle of the gun is pointed at their head. This obviously is not acceptable. I do use the holster but not a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Tman wrote:
I have had a SmartCarry for years and would like to point out a problem I have with this holster. I have a couple of small kids who want to climb in my lap. When I am sitting down and they walk up to between my legs, the muzzle of the gun is pointed at their head. This obviously is not acceptable. I do use the holster but not a lot.

By that logic, no one should ever wear a shoulder holster, because people walk behind them.

The rule about not pointing guns at people does not apply when the gun is encased in an appropriate case or holster.

With the gun in your pants, in a holster that fully covers the trigger guard, and with no hands on the gun at all, it is not "pointed" in any real sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:27 pm 

On one hand if I thought the gun was unsafe in the holster, I would not be sticking it down my pants. On the other hand there are two layers of denim between my kid’s forehead and the muzzle of a loaded Glock.

The rationale is sound for a holstered gun, but I just cannot call it safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tman wrote:
On one hand if I thought the gun was unsafe in the holster, I would not be sticking it down my pants. On the other hand there are two layers of denim between my kid’s forehead and the muzzle of a loaded Glock.

The rationale is sound for a holstered gun, but I just cannot call it safe.

By all means, let your feelings be your guide, if you wish. Just be aware that your only basis for concern is feelings alone, not reality.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Wed May 03, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew +1

But take it the rest of the way.

By this logic lets say I am wearing a strong side hip holster & my child grabs my leg the child is in danger at there is nothing between the child & the gun at all.
Most of the holsters I have seen have the tip open, & even if I have one of the few that do have a closed tip, Gasp there is only 1 layer of leather between the gun & the child.

Now try an IWB all the same but you get to add one layer of fabric between the child & the gun.

I also find it doubtful that no one ever goes above the ground floor while wearing one there by pointing the weapon at anyone below them in where ever they are.

This whole line just keeps coming up again & again the gun is safe, or it is not safe. Make up you mind, If you don’t feel safe with the gun, then get rid of it & get one you do feel safe with.

Quote:
With no hands on the gun at all, it is not "pointed" in any real sense

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interesting discussion.

I have been wearing it on and off for @ 2 weeks and for summer carry with shorts or dress pants this is great. It is very comfortable and very easy to wear around the house where nomally you would need pants and a belt to hold the gun. With this holster no outside support is required.

All in all it is a winner! It adds to the options I have for carring a larger handgun then I would normally carry via IWB, OWB or pocket holster with and no extra cover required. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:22 pm 

I would never carry a Glock in a smartcarry style holster without one of those push-away trigger-block safety devices, and I would never carry a Glock with a push-away trigger-block safety device for self-defense.

There are much safer choices for carry than the Glock platform if one is going to carry in a smartcarry/thunderwear style holster. And that is not Glock bashing, I have a few, carry one a lot, and love them. I just think that it would be unsafe to draw from inside my pants with the light trigger pull.

YMMV.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:32 am 

In all fairness I do not believe that SmartCarry is unsafe. Yes, with a handgun on my hip there are still times when it is pointed at my kids. With a SmartCarry the gun is in a location that points at little ones allot. This is a mindset thing I know, but I would assume that many people would be nervous if they are wearing a SmartCarry and a child came up, and laid there head on the muzzle of a pistol. If you have kids think about it, and if you do not, get back to me when you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Tman wrote:
This is a mindset thing I know, but I would assume that many people would be nervous if they are wearing a SmartCarry and a child came up, and laid there head on the muzzle of a pistol.

The uninformed mught feel nervouse, but that nervousness has nothing to do with danger or rationality.

We bash the antis for acting on emotion and not fact; I prefer not to be like them.

Quote:
If you have kids think about it, and if you do not, get back to me when you do.

My kids are two and four. I've thought about it a lot. I've concluded that the fact is that hostered pistols don't "go off."

My actual safety concerns with the SmartCarry are twofold:

1) If they come running at me quickly, they could bash their little noses on a steel slide covered with a few layers of demin. Ouch!

2) They may grow up thinking that men can't be injured in that area. (Little kids love to crawl and jump on Daddy -- the SmartCarry has protected me from injury innumerable times!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:31 am 

Dude man, you don’t have to call me names, being so emotional I might start crying. :lol: I am informed and I do not know how I gave you the impression that I wasn’t. I stated that I believe the gun to be safe.

Obviously it is my emotions on this one, can’t stop it. Maybe I will change my mind after a few groin injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Tman wrote:
Dude man, you don’t have to call me names, being so emotional I might start crying. :lol:

Jeez, I'm sorry! Group hug? :)
Quote:
Obviously it is my emotions on this one, can’t stop it. Maybe I will change my mind after a few groin injuries.

They say that pain is a powerful teacher. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
[
They say that pain is a powerful teacher. :D

I have found that to be so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:04 am 

Too many worries. Maybe you might trip and fall when you are carrying your gun in any kind of holster. Maybe your playing catch with one of your kids and the ball hits your holstered gun. Maybe your sitting in your car wearing a shoulder holster and your kid is right behind you in the car seat. I have several kids and all of them are trained in the safe use and handling of guns. It's normal to worry about these things but Andrew has a good point, properly holstered guns don't go bang. I still find myself taking precaution not to point my holstered gun at my family or others if at all possible because it makes me nervous.

:cry: :cry: :cry: BIG GROUP HUG :cry: :cry: :cry:

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.