Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Any decent paddles out there, for Glock 29 specifically? 
 Post subject: Any decent paddles out there, for Glock 29 specifically?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a belt holster for my S&W 1066 and while it does a decent job under concealing garments, it's a nuisance to take on and off.

I finally ditched a Ruger P345 I had and sunk the money into a Glock 29, which is a tighter package than the 1066.

I'd like to make the G29 more of an everyday carry gun and a paddle would make that more of a reality IF it didn't terribly compromise the holster's stability or concealability ((and I mean terribly; I'm willing to accept some compromise).

Anyone used one they liked? With a Glock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

In *my* experience with paddle rigs, (which is limited, admittedly) there are some compromises, for sure.

My primary experience with a paddle is a fobus for my Kel-Tec P11. I like it well enough- it does a good job at retaining the weapon (almost too good, at first!) and is plenty stable, given a proper belt. It is very easy to remove/replace the holster, but not so easy that it will separate from your belt when it shouldn't. It is not, however, terribly concealable. The grip is held away from the body, and requires a fairly significant cover garment- even with a small weapon such as the P11. Comfort is outstanding. The only problem I've had with the fobus is while I stepped backwards through a doorframe, the base of the grip caught on the frame. I was moving quickly, and it tore one of the rivets out that holds the paddle to the holster. I called Fobus, and they gave me a RA# to send it back- no questions asked- I just haven't done it yet.

My other paddle experience is with a friends XD9 and an Uncle Mikes Paddle. The UM was cant-adjustable and tension-adjustable- fetures not available on my fobus. Once installed, the UM was VERY tough to get off the belt- not terribly convenient for a "run-into-the-post-office" kind of removal. It may have gotten better with a bit of practice- I don't know. It also held the grip well away from the body, requiring substantial cover. Again- outstanding in the "comfort" department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I like a couple of the Galco paddles, but they're kind of annoying to look at on line since they don't provide consistent photography for the 3-4 paddles they list as G29 compatible. I wish they had inside, outside, and side views of each holster on and off a model. And how about a model that looks like the rest of us? Hrumph.

I'm also up for a shoulder rig for winter carry. I often wear a lightweight something under my coat and over my shirt in the winter, so a shoulder rig sounds ideal for colder months. Especially if I'm going someplace where I won't have to take off my coat or can get away with just unzipping it.

I'm so glad(!?!?) we have winter here for so long; I feel sorry for CCW people in states with must-conceal laws and year-round hot weather. I generally prefer concealed carry, but it's nice knowing you won't get your ticket jerked for being exposed a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

I don't know what part of town you're in, but J&S has a decent selection of Galco's stuff.

On shoulder rigs- I just ordered an Alessi Bodyguard from Lightning Arms yesterday... I can't WAIT!!!

Post subject: Holsters
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:53 pm 

I've been using a Galco "Speed Paddle Holster" for my S&W 642. It goes on easy and comes off only when you want it to. I am able to conceal under a light T shirt. My only complaint is that there is no protection for the exposed metal and its begining to show some persperation degredation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:38 am 

My experience is also somewhat limited.

I have a Blade-tech kydex paddle holster, and I really quite pleased with it. It doesn't conceal anywhere near as well as a IWB, but in my experience if I have anything covering my firearm, people are generally pretty oblivious to anything I carry. I went with the Blade-tech because it had a better selection of left handed paddle holsters(all of the choices could be left handed).

It rides a bit higher on my waist then most other hoster types I have tried, which would be a consideration.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:56 pm 

Blade-tech has just come out with a "combo holster" that's convertable for paddle or belt. I just saw an ad for it the other day. I've used Blade-tech for years, both in belt style, and IWB, for G19/26, etc. Michaels of Oregon is, in my humble opinion, one of the best values in a holster out there. I've been using Kydex holsters for about eight years, and my guns don't show any wear from them, and my gear does get a workout! Again in my humble opinion, holsters get to be like wallets, purses, and pizza. We all get our favorites, and my favorite doesn't make any others bad, I just have my favorite!

Don Larson
MDL Inc
Glock Armorer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:36 am 

Fobus is ok, I started in IDPA with one for my G17. It holds the gun TOO GOOD, and it will take the finish off a Glock fast. Then I got the Uncle Mike's, its VERY GOOD and it has adjustable tension. I bought a G34, and it would stick out the bottom of the UM holster. UM does not make a holster for the G34 so I bought my first Blade-Tec. WOW!! it is GOOD. I now have used it for 2 years in IDPA and I just love it.... you can't go wrong! I do like to carrry my Kimber ULTRA CARRY II and it was very hard to find someone that makes a good holster for that model. It is shorter than the Colt Officer and the Colt Defender, so a holster made for them will not work (talking about KYDEX) So it was back to Blade-Tec , they make one for the Kimber. The COMBO that Blade-Tec makes is their low-end hoster, I have one and I don't like it at all... you pay for what you get! :D

Post subject: Holsters clip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:57 am 
on probation

On my Glock 22 and sig-229 I put the clipdraw on and it works very good. I like it and I don't have to mess around with a holster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Holsters clip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

lastgunshop wrote:
On my Glock 22 and sig-229 I put the clipdraw on and it works very good. I like it and I don't have to mess around with a holster.

The open trigger guard on a Glock or any other no-safety-pull-trigger-to-fire gun would bother me in most situations.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:24 pm 
on probation

mobocracy wrote:
lastgunshop wrote:

The open trigger guard on a Glock or any other no-safety-pull-trigger-to-fire gun would bother me in most situations.
There a Glock trigger plug on my Glock, On my sig229 as I put the firearm IWB I put my tumb on the hammer. In 35 years I never shot my self....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Check out http://rmholsters.com

I use them...they are excellent...

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:23 pm 

lastgunshop wrote:
mobocracy wrote:
lastgunshop wrote:

There a Glock trigger plug on my Glock, On my sig229 as I put the firearm IWB I put my tumb on the hammer. In 35 years I never shot my self....

To each his own. Me, I won't carry any of my Glocks without a holster that covers the trigger guard. Life is too short for light beer, ugly women, or negligent discharges.....

:P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

You mean like this? :wink:

(From the Sioux Falls ArgustLeader.com)

CORRINE OLSON
colson@argusleader.com

Article Published: 10/6/05

Sioux Falls police suspect a gun accidentally discharged in the West Mall 7 Theatres on Tuesday night, injuring one man and leaving moviegoers thinking there had been an explosion.

Police recovered bullet fragments near a chair that had a dime-sized hole but are still trying to piece together exactly what happened.

"We don't know if there has been a crime," said Loren McManus, Sioux Falls police public information officer. "There was no weapon recovered in the theater, and everyone who was left behind was pat-searched, and no weapon was found."

ADVERTISMENT

Police were called to the theater shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday in response to what was described as an explosion at a showing of "The Dukes of Hazzard."

A 22-year-old man who lives at a Sioux Vocational Services group home suffered minor injuries, including splinters and burns on his arm. He was sitting in the chair the bullet apparently passed through. Thirty people were in the theater.

McManus said there might be no crime if the discharge was accidental because South Dakotans with a permit may carry a concealed weapon. The trajectory of the bullet leads officers to think the discharge was accidental.

"We think it would have been difficult for someone to be standing or seated and shoot it the way it did," McManus said.

Police are still looking for a man who witnesses say left the theater clutching his head. Officials want to determine whether he was hurt or whether he was the gun owner.

He is described as a white man, 35 to 40 years old, 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-2, weighing about 200 pounds with a stocky build. Witnesses said he has short, dark hair and glasses with thin lenses and silver rims.

McManus said police officers have contacted local hospitals and clinics, but no one matching that description has shown up seeking treatment for injuries.

Things were back to normal at West Mall 7 Theatres on Wednesday, but a new policy outlawing weapons is in place.

"I guess until this point, we haven't had a policy. Obviously, we do now," owner Ted Frager said. "We've never had this come up before. If we had known someone was carrying a weapon or we saw a weapon, we would have asked them not to bring it in."

Frager said he will post signs at the theater telling patrons that weapons are not allowed on the premises.

"It's shaken us all up here," he said. "Sioux Falls is getting to be a bigger city. Anywhere you go in Sioux Falls, you want to feel safe. We're going to do everything we can do to see that's the case here."

Local staff at Century Theatres and Carmike Cinema 7 referred calls to national spokespeople, who could not be reached Wednesday.

Reach reporter Corrine Olson at 331-2311.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:07 pm 

I'm agreeing with Goalie. In my humble opinion, when carrying a Glock (or anything else, for that matter), I want that trigger guard covered. Each to their own, though. In a class I was in at Gunsite (#350), a deputy sheriff from AK put a 230 grain Hydra-Shok in his leg when his BDU shirt cought on the trigger as he was holstering up his Glock 21 after a drill. That was lesson enough for me about covering the trigger guard.

Don Larson
MDL Inc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.