Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taurus 85 or other 2" J-Frame accessories 
 Post subject: Taurus 85 or other 2" J-Frame accessories
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, I tried this in Gear but that's not the highest traffic spot I guess.

What I'm really looking for is recommendations, advice, places to shopp / buy, and if you're really generous perhaps a loan of stuff you've accumulated but are not currently using for your J-frame revolver. I just want to try out a bunch of stuff but I'm too frugal to buy it all knowing I won't use 90% of it.

Advice? Thoughts? Derision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have no answers for you yet, just sort of the same questions, as I just bought a 2 1/4"-bbl Ruger SP101. So I'll let you know what I find!

At Frontiersman where I bought the revolver, they ony had one holster that would fit it, a $95 Galco. I stopped at Streicher's on my way to work and didn't see anything there. I asked about snubbie revolver holsters and they said, "Good luck." (They know I don't have any government money to spend 'cause all I ever do there is dig through the clearance bin.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got a Gould & Goodrich black leather yaqui belt slide holster for my Taurus 85 at Streichers for $27.

Here's what a semi-auto version looks like:

They had the right-handed one on the shelf; they had to special-order the lefty for me. :(

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
I have no answers for you yet, just sort of the same questions, as I just bought a 2 1/4"-bbl Ruger SP101. So I'll let you know what I find!

At Frontiersman where I bought the revolver, they ony had one holster that would fit it, a $95 Galco. I stopped at Streicher's on my way to work and didn't see anything there. I asked about snubbie revolver holsters and they said, "Good luck." (They know I don't have any government money to spend 'cause all I ever do there is dig through the clearance bin.)

I'd like to find out what you think of the Ruger when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

So far:
Steichers has lots of Glock stuff, wished me luck on the snubbie.
Joe's has Galco but nothing IWB
Bill's North has Galco and Blackhawk and a couple IWB's I liked.
Bill's Robbinsdale had a Black Widow OWB I liked but only with a retention strap.

No one local had anything but hogue rubber boots that I saw. Maybe the Military gun show in July.

I ordered a Mika IWB, and we'll see how that works. I may order an IWB from J.W. O'Rourke or a Inside-out looped Pancake from Rugged Holsters(Alaska)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:55 pm 

I have a Galco "Royal Guard" IWB horsehide holster that you could try out. I personally carry my J-frames in the front pocket. It seems that if I am going to carry on the belt, either IWB or OWB, I carry a G26 or G17, but the Galco holster is pretty comfy and stable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got a nice holster from Nevada Guns for a J frame. Check them out at
https://www.gunleather.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=6

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:22 am 
Longtime Regular

My SP101 carries very nicely in a Bianchi #5 Black Widow. I bought mine last year at Gander Mt. Pulls in close and hides well even under a T shirt. Some may not like it because the trigger guard is not covered, it works for me.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

J frame holsters,yea I got j frame holsters you are welcome to borrow if there are any you are interested in trying.I have a Bianchi 55L that is an owb belt slide with a top strap that goes behind the trigger guard.It is designed for a hammerless model such as a 640 or 642 Smith.I also have a Galco paddle that I'm really fond of as it has no retension strap but has a screw for setting the tension. I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle that I carry the 640 in and I'm not sure I would carry a blued or my 642 in due to not knowing what the plastic would do to the finish, the 642 has a clear coat that might wear or maybe not. Lastly I have a Galco shoulder holster that is also designed for a hammerless J frame and the strap goes behind the trigger guard. The shoulder holster has a double strip pouch under your left arm with a securing strap for attaching to your belt. E- mail me or respond here if you have any interest in any of these. They are all right hand holsters
Bud
I may have an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder rig somewhere in my holster closet also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:51 pm 

alright pat! the sp101 is a great carry piece, mine is the hammerless version. it is one of two pistols i own and the one i carry with most. the only accessory i have so far is the mika's in-pocket holster, which i reallk like. i was looking at getting some hogue grips, but i think it might bulk it up enough to print in my pocket. i need to get a iwb holster and will report in when i get one.

woody, i love my ruger it is super sturdy and accurate for a 2 1/2" barrel. the dao trigger pull is a little long, but you get used to it. it is cheaper than s&w, but not as cheap as taurus. when i was looking i saw no used ruger's (translates to people don't get rid of them) but saw plenty of used tauri(?). the used s&w were still more expensive than my ruger brand new. i heartily endorse this gun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:46 pm 

I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight and the only accessory I've bought for it so far is one of those crappy cloth bag IWB holsters. I plan on getting an ankle holster someday for using that gun as a backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:37 pm 

plblark, I know I read that you took your carry class from Joel.
Did you get your permitt back yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
plblark, I know I read that you took your carry class from Joel.
Did you get your permitt back yet?

Yep, and it came back FAST. Class the 28th of May, Permit in May 30th 8am, Permit dated June 5th arrived June 7th in the mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:22 am 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
J frame holsters,yea I got j frame holsters you are welcome to borrow if there are any you are interested in trying.I have a Bianchi 55L that is an owb belt slide with a top strap that goes behind the trigger guard.It is designed for a hammerless model such as a 640 or 642 Smith.I also have a Galco paddle that I'm really fond of as it has no retension strap but has a screw for setting the tension. I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle that I carry the 640 in and I'm not sure I would carry a blued or my 642 in due to not knowing what the plastic would do to the finish, the 642 has a clear coat that might wear or maybe not. Lastly I have a Galco shoulder holster that is also designed for a hammerless J frame and the strap goes behind the trigger guard. The shoulder holster has a double strip pouch under your left arm with a securing strap for attaching to your belt. E- mail me or respond here if you have any interest in any of these. They are all right hand holsters
Bud
I may have an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder rig somewhere in my holster closet also.

I like the looks of the 55L but it brings a question to mind. What about the uncovered hammer. Should I worry about that if the trigger guard is covered? Should I really worry about it at all? Is the hammer going to gouge me as I carry it? Looking at the 55L, neither the hammer nor the trigger are really covered so for now I'd be nervous about it and it would show. Maybe later I'll get more comfortable. (you know, cause the gun will jump out and shoot someone all on its own. Kidding aside, I'm just being incredibly covservative about safety since I'm new to public concealed carry)

The Galco Paddle sounds VERY interesting as does the Kydex. I tried the Kydex t Bill's North but would be interested in giving either paddle some more real life testing.

Thanks for your generous offer. Don't let me hog all of them though, pass the generosity around. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:51 pm 

Aren't you happy with the Mikka pocket holster any more?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.