Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for XD subcompact deep concealment 
 Post subject: Looking for XD subcompact deep concealment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok so it looks like I will be starting a new job. One entrance is posted, another is not. I still would like to be very careful about printing. The dress is slacks and a (nice) shirt with buttons. No jacket. I guess I could do sweater vests in winter, but summer is fast approaching.

I have a Don Hume IWB that works very nice for when I wander out of the house. But because the shirt needs to be tucked in, the clip gets in the way.

I have a friend who has a Galco with the j-hook which would be great, except I can't find one for the XD. The trigger guard is just a tad too big.

I also have a Thunderware holster, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong with that, because one can always see the end of the butt of the gun print. Pants too tight maybe?

It prints such in my pants that it either looks very odd there there is a little bit of a belly, a belt of smaller diameter then the belly, and then another buldge out that is the pistol. Or it looks like I am walking around constantly just a little too happy if you know what I mean.

So at this point the only thing I can figure is one of those undershirts that has a little holder in them. The only one that I have found is about $40, and I would need at least a couple of them. This also kills my time of <1.5 seconds to draw from concealment to first shot.

Any other ideas, or other sources for the J-hook holsters?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 am 

Just as an FYI, your employer can ban you from carrying no matter if/how they have the premeses posted. If your employment agreement says no weapons, I wouldn't risk carrying, unless you don't care about the job.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I just bought a Smartcarry holster and with pleated dress pants it works great. You may have to go up a size if necessary or just wear the gun while fiting on pants.

People generally don't look at your private parts very often! :shock: If they do, it may help your rep. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:40 am 
Longtime Regular

gaygoalie wrote:
Just as an FYI, your employer can ban you from carrying no matter if/how they have the premeses posted. If your employment agreement says no weapons, I wouldn't risk carrying, unless you don't care about the job.

Thanks for reminding me. Forgot about that and the parking area discussion. Still not great. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:07 pm 

If you do chose to carry at work there are a few places that make a tuck-able holster that will work for your XD.

http://www.comp-tac.com/ Take a look at the C-TAC. I've got one and its my daily carry.

Or if you prefer leather... http://www.tuckergunleather.com/ I haven't tried one of these but haven't heard anything bad either.

There may be others, these are just the ones that I thought of right away.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
I just bought a Smartcarry holster and with pleated dress pants it works great. You may have to go up a size if necessary or just wear the gun while fiting on pants.

People generally don't look at your private parts very often! :shock: If they do, it may help your rep. :wink:

Yup, pleated pants.

Also, consider shifting the gun a little to the left (if you're right handed), to move the butt "inside" the pocket line.

If your company requires ID badges, consider clipping it to your belt in front of the gun butt.

All this is, of course, hypothetical. I'd never carry past an employer's sign. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:57 pm 
The Man

Srigs wrote:

I find that I can wear my snubby with Smartcarry or Twear (I've bought both; there's no practical difference) with any trousers I have, without drawing attention. I guess if I was the sort of guy who wore spandex pants, it'd be another thing, but jeans, Dockers, business-dress pants, whatever . . . it all works.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:35 pm 

I just ordered the CompTac Ctac for my XD9Comp. I will let you know how I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Please do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Srigs wrote:

I find that I can wear my snubby with Smartcarry or Twear (I've bought both; there's no practical difference) with any trousers I have, without drawing attention. I guess if I was the sort of guy who wore spandex pants, it'd be another thing, but jeans, Dockers, business-dress pants, whatever . . . it all works.

I have been using a thunderwear with a KalTec p3at. I get a little bit of a buldge while sitting. It is fine while standing. Ended up walking out to the parking ramp with my boss the other day, and there was some funny stuff going on a ways off. I picked a minivan to split off from the boss. While behind concealment I was able to draw and drop it into my pocket. Walked out from behind concealment (the van) and had to tuck my shirt in a little. No big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 pm 

So I got my CTAC in the mail today and promptly went out to carry for the FIRST TIME! Went to about 5 stores for like 2 hours. Felt great to carry!

The CTAC is a problem, for me, though. I am liking to carry between my zipper and my front right pocket. The CTAC is too wide and puts pressure right on my hip bone. I adjusted it several times. Perfectly comfortable for sitting but starts to hurt when walking around.

So I think I will return it. Anyone know thier policy?

I think I need a "single" type holster, maybe the Pro Undercover that CompTac makes. I also like the Blackhawk CQC but its backordered forever!

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

WestSideGuy wrote:
So I think I will return it. Anyone know thier policy?

http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_warranty.html

Comp-tac wrote:
Comp-tac warranties its products for a period of one year from date of purchase. Failures due to defects in materials or construction will be repaired or replaced at Comp-tac's discretion throughout the warranty period.

The warranty is void in the case of any modification, alteration or abuse of the product by the customer.

Warranties of implied merchantability or suitability for any purpose do not apply. Responsibility for the choice of product lies solely with the customer.

WestSideGuy wrote:
I am liking to carry between my zipper and my front right pocket. The CTAC is too wide and puts pressure right on my hip bone. I adjusted it several times. Perfectly comfortable for sitting but starts to hurt when walking around.

"Doc, it hurts when I do <i>this</i>."

"Then, don't do that!"

Try carrying at 4:00 or 5:00, not the 1:00 position you mention. It'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:02 pm 

So do most people carry in the 4 or 5 oclock? That would seem to difficult to get at easy. And I would have to remove to sit in my car. A pain.

???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:03 pm 

It doesn't say I cant return it though. Just wondering if they charge a re stocking fee of some sort.

Otherwise I will try it again and then put it for sale on eBay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

WestSideGuy wrote:
So do most people carry in the 4 or 5 oclock? That would seem to difficult to get at easy. And I would have to remove to sit in my car. A pain.

???

Most people with an IWB do indeed carry behind the hip. A gun at 1:00 strikes me as awfully difficult to conceal.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.