Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Holster Belts 
 Post subject: Holster Belts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:42 pm 

Anyone suggest a certain kind of belt?
I know it's not the correct one, but I've been using a flimsy dress belt in order to practice.
When I draw, the whole thing comes up quite a few inches because of the flimsiness of the belt, and also the wide gap between the belt loops.
Do I have to have a specific gun belt, or does any wide, stiff leather belt work?

Post subject: Re: Holster Belts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
Anyone suggest a certain kind of belt?
I know it's not the correct one, but I've been using a flimsy dress belt in order to practice.
When I draw, the whole thing comes up quite a few inches because of the flimsiness of the belt, and also the wide gap between the belt loops.
Do I have to have a specific gun belt, or does any wide, stiff leather belt work?
Although lots of people recommend lots of really nice belts and I won't argue with them, I wear a regular fairly-stiff leather belt that I bought at Kaplan Brothers on Lake Street for seven dollars. Holsters tend to be made for either 1.5" or 1.75" wide belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

My carry belts are from Fleet Farm and work great! About 12 to 16 can get you a good belt.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:19 pm 

Srigs wrote:
My carry belts are from Fleet Farm and work great! About 12 to 16 can get you a good belt.

What kind of belt?
I pass Fleet Farm every day and could ceertainly stop in for what I needed.
Just stiff Leather?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:21 pm 

I purchased 1 Black & 1 Brown carry belt from Streicher's.

A bit expensive compared to regular belts, but very inexpensive as compared to other "carry belts"

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 pm 

In general and YMMV
A heavy leather belt offers more support then a flimsy belt
A gun belt offers more support then a heavy leather belt.
Alot depends on what your carrying and in what mode
A 5" steel 1911 requires more support then a Keltec 32
OWB requires more support then IWB

Now what works for me
I use a 3 stitch wilderness instructors belt I would like to try the 5 stitch
I prefer the roller buckle adjustment on the wilderness belt. A normal belt buckle for me always seems one hole is to loose and the next is to tight. Normal for me is a 4'' alloyed frame 1911 in a OWB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. They are made by Gould and Goodrich, and they are about $40.

A crappy leather belt at Wal-Mart is $12 and lasts a year at best. Why not get a good one?

a911scanner wrote:
I purchased 1 Black & 1 Brown carry belt from Streicher's.

A bit expensive compared to regular belts, but very inexpensive as compared to other "carry belts"

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
Srigs wrote:

What kind of belt?
I pass Fleet Farm every day and could ceertainly stop in for what I needed.
Just stiff Leather?

It is a stiff leather belt 1.5 inches in width and 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick with a double belt clasp. Works with my jeans, dress pants and shorts.

Give them a try with the gun/holster you will be carring.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't know about gun belts, but I've been looking at trying one. I've been wearing a 1 1/4 inch wide plain black underbelt that I got at Aspen Mills for 6 years. It's still going strong. I've had it in all conditions, used to carry a 10 or 12 pound utility belt attached to it for several years, have drenched and soaked it in the lake several times, carried desks, chairs, and boxes rested on the buckle and it's still just as strong as ever.

I bought a $20 belt from Kohl's once. It fell apart when I went in the lake with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:53 pm 

I have an older 3 stitch Wilderness, and recently got a 5-stitch. Big difference! Whatever belt you choose, get as suppoetive a belt as you can fit thru the belt loops. With dress clothes you're limited, but with jeans, etc. there's a lot of choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use the western style belts that one can find at Sportsman's Warehouse. So far, the only problem I've had is the silver ornamentation snags a little on the holster I use. A little caution and it's been just fine. (Must be the Texan in me!!)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject: Leather Gun Belts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Gun belts are the only belts I ever wear, and they really make a huge difference in giving support to your gun, and not letting the grip tip outward from your body.

Mernickle Belts
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_belts.html

Mitch Rosen Belts
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/ ... _line.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I love the Don Hume belts. I have 2 and a 3rd on order. Best belt quality I have found and the cost is very resonable. One of the belts is 4 years old and the other is 2+ and still look new.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:53 pm 

I really like my WildBills belt, but I have heard that the wait for stuff from him is rather long now. :cry:

Great belt at a great price though. They even sent it to me with the wrong color (gold) belt buckle when I wanted a silver one, so they sent me the silver one asap and told me to keep the gold buckle-assembly in case I ever changed my mind or just wanted to switch it up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Leather Gun Belts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

lance22 wrote:
Gun belts are the only belts I ever wear, and they really make a huge difference in giving support to your gun, and not letting the grip tip outward from your body.

Mernickle Belts
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_belts.html

Mitch Rosen Belts
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/ ... _line.html

I have two Mitch Rosen Gun Belts that I would be willing to sell.

Both are black and are 42 1/2" X 1-1/4".

One has a taper end to 1" (for dress). I think I wore one once or maybe twice (Like New).

I also have a Near New) Black, Mitch Rosen holster for a Kahr P40, but I think it will fit most any 1911, 3” barrel auto loader. The Holster is Item # WKM-SLIM with a WKMG.

The belts are # BHL-T.

If inclined, make me an offer.

Sorry about changing the string, but couldn’t help hijacking the thread for these items :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.