Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ordered my SmartCarry Holster. 
 Post subject: Ordered my SmartCarry Holster.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Well I just ordered a SmartCarry holster to help me meet my lifestyle in the summer. I run warm so having an extra cover shirt/vest does not work for me in the summer. But, I wanted to carry a bigger gun in addition to my P32 so my holster for my 6946 or P11 will be comming to me in a week or so. This will allow me to carry my larger gun in the SmartCarry with an extra mag and have my P32 in my pocket holster.

Who uses this setup? How do you like it?
Any suggestions or issues to look out for?

Thank you in advance! I'll create a review after I use it for a week or so. 8)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:54 am 

I was very close to buying one just to try out, but I found an OWB that was comfortable to wear and should conceal ok under a loose t-shirt.

However, I will be very interested in reading your review.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:32 am 
Longtime Regular

I've used a SmartCarry for most of the last three years.

When carrying in a belt holster (or even a pcket holster), you want a tight fit and an inflexible belt to support the weight of the gun.

In contrast, when using a SmartCarry, drawing requires reaching into your waistband, so an elastic waist or at least a loose belt are almost required. This implies keeping your pockets light, or you'll be constantly hitching up your pants. Believe me, I know. :)

So the pocket holster plus the SmartCarry may or may not work out.

Other things:

If you run hot, your holster will hold moisture. Carry a stainless gun or plan on nightly cleanings and oilings.

To hold the magazine and gun at the proper height for a correct draw, it may be necessary to adjust the depth of the gun and mag pockets. You can do this with a couple of safety pins or a couple of baste stitches.

Know that the holster will wear on the front at the tip of the barrel. It will rub against the inside of the pants (especially jeans) and will eventually wear a hole through. Charlie suggests duct tape. :roll:

For most folks, drawing in a car is quite difficult (especially if you have any belly at all). You may want to think of alternate carry in the car.

Pleated pants conceal better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew, Thanks for the FYI on SmartCarry.

I have read the info from the website and looked at how to adjust and my add the duck tape proactively. I will most likely will use my SS 6946 most of the time.

For car carry, I bought one of their Ace Car Holsters that have a velcro pad that attaches to the car and the a soft holster with the velcro closure so you can just mount the gun to the velcro pad. If it works well, I will add it to each car and truck and maybe bed frame. Seams like a good solution.

The last thing I picked up was the Ghost Glow sight paint that should glow in the dark. One in orange and one in green.

I'll post a review of all three. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have an elastic belt so I am not pulling up my pants. If I am wearing sweat pants or clothing like that I will wear it at the 3 o'clock too.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
I have read the info from the website and looked at how to adjust and my add the duck tape proactively.

If you go to Cinequipt in Minneapolis, there is a high-quality cloth tape calleed gaffer's tape.

It's $12 a roll, but sticks like hell and doesn't leave that gooey residue like duct tape.

http://www.cinequipt.com/
816 Ninth Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
(612) 627-9080

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Srigs wrote:
I have read the info from the website and looked at how to adjust and my add the duck tape proactively.

If you go to Cinequipt in Minneapolis, there is a high-quality cloth tape calleed gaffer's tape.

It's $12 a roll, but sticks like hell and doesn't leave that gooey residue like duct tape.

What the hell is duct tape actually really good for? It's no good on ducts, you need aluminum tape -- "duct" melts on high heat and even on low heat applications dries out and leaves a mess. Gaffers have their own tape.

I know people use tons of it, often inappropriately (ie, on ducts), but is it actually designed for any real application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Srigs wrote:

http://www.cinequipt.com/
816 Ninth Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
(612) 627-9080

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:01 pm 

this may be a big duh, but i always thought it was called duct tape first then people just lazily(or ignorantly) called it duck. seems to be the other way around

Quote:
Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

for more uses of duct tape look here:
http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:09 am 
Longtime Regular

To build anything all you need is duck tape and a BFH. Just watch Red Green to find out how. :D

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:25 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Just dont shoot your balls off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:

Thanks for your concerns but the gun does not point at my "balls". :lol:

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Duck (Duct) Tape would stop the bullet anyhow..................... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:21 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Srigs wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Thanks for your concerns but the gun does not point at my "balls". :lol:

Hey - all I have to say is good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle is being silly, of course. Thousands and thousands of SmartCarry and Thunderwear holsters are in use, and I've never heard of one being involved in an ND. Can you say that about Fobus, or Glock? :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.