Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 MY favorite holster 
 Post subject: MY favorite holster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:28 pm 

Unlike a lot of people, I DON'T have a whole drawer full of holsters that weren't quite right. I got an Alessi Talon, which was good, and then I bought one for my EAA 10mm from hbeleatherworks.com, and its comfort, ride, and stability were superb. I got another one for my 50 GI which already had Crimson Trace LG 301's on it, and I casually mentioned this to Eric as I was ordering the holster. About 6 weesk later the holster shows up, and it's the msot comfortable I've ever worn. In addition, Eric molded in a spot in the holster FOR the lasergrips, and I never even asked him to do it. His prices are very reasonable, but he does take a while to get your holster done. With this kind of quality, I think he's making a LOT of holsters for people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, man I am so jealous. In my personal opinion the .50 GI is the coolest handgun in the universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice rig! :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Pat C: You're right!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:33 pm 

Owning a 50 GI is a true luxury experience like owning a Rolex, an Omega, or a Ferrari, except none of those will save your life if TSHTF.

Provided you can afford the cost of the gun, you still HAVE to handload to afford to shoot it as much as you want without going broke. The recoil isn't much worse than a hot 200 grain 10mm load, but it is NOTICABLY different. When you pull the trigger on a 50 GI, it's very clear that you are putting sone VERY serious firepower downrange. There were two reasons I got one, with the first being that you can get CT lasergrips for a 1911 clone, but you can't for an EAA 10mm, which was my previous CCW piece. Secondly, while a 14 + 1 10mm has enough power to stop anything smaller than Godzilla, if you point it at someone they probably can't tell the differnce between that and a 9mm, 40, or 357. When you stare down the barrel of a 50 GI, NO amount of stupidity or meth will allow you to believe that you can take a 50 caliber hollowpoint bullet (Speer 300 grain Gold Dot @ 875 FPS) and still live. Considering how much it will cost you if you do shoot somebody, the 50 GI is a rather modest investment to make sure that never happens.

Two pictures are worth 2,000 words...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:25 am 
Longtime Regular

C A N T S E E P I C T U R E S . M U C H T O O W I D E !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
C A N T S E E P I C T U R E S . M U C H T O O W I D E !
So Dean, you're one of those guys who owns guns to compensate for his tiny computer monitor, eh? ;)

Actually yeah, Sam, it's not the pictures per se that's inconvenient, but the fact that they make the whole page wider so I have to scroll left and right to read the text. Remember us poor people might only have 1024, or 800, pixels, across the screen. Doesn't seem that long ago I was designing Web pages for 640 x 480 to be on the safe side.

Hey I just remembered Firefox has a setting, "Resize large images to fit in browser window" (I remember thinking, "Why would I want to do that?"). Hmm, doesn't seem to work; maybe I have to restart the browser...

[edit:] Nope, that didn't work. Oh well. Oops, we're kind of off the holster thread, huh? Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Hey I just remembered Firefox has a setting, "Resize large images to fit in browser window" (I remember thinking, "Why would I want to do that?"). Hmm, doesn't seem to work; maybe I have to restart the browser...

That only works when you are only looking at the image alone and not in a forum or as part of a web page.

I'm part of another forum that will delete your post if you images are wider than 640 pixels.

I have a 19" monitor BTW. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:11 pm 

Someone bring me up to speed. WTH is a .50 GI? A 1911 re-built for .50AE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nope - it's a proprietary cartridge.

Here's an article from "Guns Magazine": http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n14816196

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mike wrote:
Someone bring me up to speed. WTH is a .50 GI? A 1911 re-built for .50AE?
Close. It's a 1911 built from the ground up to fire the proprietary 50GI (Guncrafter Industries) cartridge. It is what I want for Christmas, Santa.

Check it out at http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/50g ... idge.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat wrote:

Quote:
It is what I want for Christmas, Santa.

Have you been a good little boy this year Pat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:35 pm 
1911 tainted

Seismic Sam, you do not know what you have done.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:51 pm 

A really nice piece of hardware. They sure don't give 'em away. I've got a handful on 'the list' for one of those.
Quote:
Price-wise the .50 GI Model 1 is not cheap. Standard retail price with two magazines and packed in a Cordura case is $2,875.

Post subject: Baby deuce
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:53 pm 

Cobb: In addition to being a true luxury experience, part of 50 GI ownership includes the warm, fuzzy feeling of being the biggest dog on the block, CCW wise. It's a VERY nice feeling, knowing that there is 0.00% chance that some scumbag will cross your path who is more heavily armed than you are.

As far as the price is concerned, seeing as I am a regular at the Gunstop, Larry let me negotiate directly with Alex Zimmerman to get the gun at the dealer price of $2450, and because I sent a check directly to Alex there was no MN sales tax either. Larry charged me $30 for the transfer cost, which I was more than happy to pay.

P.S. - If anybody is SERIOUSLY thinking about buying one of these, you can shoot mine if you need to make up your mind. Bring a box of Speer 300 grain Gold Dots with you, and I'll give you 25 loaded rounds in exchange. I will admit it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on a pistol, but the quality and outright firepower made it worth it in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Heck, people buy 1911s that cost more than that, and that only shoot that little .45 poodle-shooter bullet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.