Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Holsters for J frame with Crimson Trace laser sights? 
 Post subject: Holsters for J frame with Crimson Trace laser sights?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:17 pm 

Has anyone had experience getting a holster for a J frame S & W equipped with Crimson Trace laser handgrips. I own a model 642 Centenial. There are lots of holsters available but I wonder if the laser bump in the grip will interfere. The stores have demonstrated to me how they fit their J frames but they don't have the laser grips installed. I'm looking to buy a pocket holster like the K & D 2-in-1 and a belt holster. Any suggestions?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum. :)

Maybe you could call and ask if they would let you bring the firearm encased and unloaded to the store and try the holster that way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a Bianchi belt holster and a Galco paddle holster and I believe the portion of the grip that the laser is mounted in is clear of both of these holsters. I'll be getting home in an hour and if this isn't the case I'll get back on here and revise. I have found you can't go wrong with any of the top holster makers. They can't afford to make anything but quality products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:44 am 
Delicate Flower

Welcome

I have a 642 and use a Fobus Paddle holster (J357) or an Uncle Mikes pocket with no problems @ all :)

Edit to add 642 CT (factory installed Crimson Trace)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a S&W 340 PD. I just got the Crimson Trace LG-405 grip and put it on. If you are looking for a pocket holster give Mika a email (or call). I got the square cut pocket holster, and just love it. The holster was custom made and shipped for less then $20.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/pocket.htm

I know several other people on the forum who have them and just love them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:59 pm 

I checked out the Fobus J357. There doesn't seem to be an option for ordering a left or right hand version, so I assume the one shown is for right hand. In that case the panel appears to go toward the leg for comfort. Is so is there a problem with printing.

Also, it appears to be made of Kydex. One Kydex holster I was shown locked the pistol in pretty tight. Not so much a problem with a belt holster because the belt will keep the holster from coming with the gun, but what about in a pocket?

I'll have to check out the soft pocket holsters from Uncle Mikes or Mika. They seem to very popular.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mike G wrote:

Quote:
soft pocket holsters from Uncle Mikes or Mika

I got both a square and round bottom pocket holster from Mika several months ago. I initally thought they were a little rough around the edges but that has proven of no concern. The material they are made from is better than the Uncle Mike's material. Mika's material is a coated material which I think sheds persperation better than the Uncle Mike's nylon material.

There is a plastic mesh material in the Mika pocket holster which holds it open a little so it is possible to re-holster the gun with the holster in the pocket. With the Uncle Mike's holster, I always remove the holster, insert the handgun and then re-pocket the two. The disadvantage to the mesh in the Mika holster is that it prints just a little more than the Uncle Mike's.

The Mika holsters are all custom made so they come with your name on the inside. Nice touch.

I find leather pocket holsters a little thick and don't see an advantage over the Mika or Uncle Mike's. The DeSantis pocket holsters are good too. I don't have one but have friends that use them. The material is better than the Uncle Mike's without the "spring" mesh to hold them open.

I usually carry in blue jeans (fairly loose) sometimes in Docker's.

Post subject: Mike G:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:18 pm 

See my new post on this subject. Eric can make you a holster that's custom molded for your gun WITH the lasergrips. He did it for me without even asking...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.