Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Holsters that have and havn't worked for me! 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:32 pm 

Comp-Tac C-TAC holster for my G26 (or G17 in the winter) works great for me. Comfortable, with positive retention and good IWB concealability. I use a cheapie DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for my P3AT or snubby. Biking on the trails, especially into Minneapolis, I use a fanny pack and carry a few extra mags. It's only works on the bike for me though, so I even got a blue color that matches my bike.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:31 am 

I'm quite partial to DeSantis holsters. While they are "off the rack" the quality is very good for the price.

For pocket carry, I use the DeSantis Nemisis. I've no complaints there. Properly sized pants are a must for pocket carry (I wear 5.11 pretty much all the time).

For my 9mm, I prefer the DeSantis Cozy Partner, which is an IWB.

On the rare occasions I carry on the belt I use Bianchi Accumolds with thumbreaks for both guns.

I've also got fanny packs for both guns. A Galco for the .38, and a no-name I got at Bill's for the 9mm. Some comments on fanny packs:

I used to think the fanny pack was a "cop-out" but after using it for a while I think it's something every pistol-packer should have. While it is certainly out of place with a suit and tie, when worn in public I've never gotten a second look (except once from another permit holder who was wearing an identical pack). I agree it's more of a "low profile" carry than "concealed" carry, but it's certainly better than not carrying at all.

Don't trust the manufacturer to size your fanny pack - they tend to run large. For example, the pack for my S&W 3914 is sized for a Walther PPK. I don't want a fanny pack which is any bigger than it needs to be. Anyone who has ever seen an MPD cop carrying his Beretta in a fanny pack knows what I mean.

When the need arises for temporary storage, I use my fanny pack as a gun case. I just take off the whole thing and lock it up, which is much easier than handling my gun in a parking lot. By locking the zippers together with a combination lock, the fanny pack becomes a "locking gun case" in accordance with the law (IMHO).

One other tip I picked up from a student: to lower the profile of your fanny pack, buy a camera case at a garage sale, cut off the logo, and sew it on your fanny pack. Most casual observers will think it's a camera case. I do know one person who has a Medical symbol on his fanny pack. When people as him what's in there, he says "Emergency lifesaving equipment."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I do know one person who has a Medical symbol on his fanny pack. When people as him what's in there, he says "Emergency lifesaving equipment."

Snort. I like that.

Post subject: Leather and Kydex
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

I bought a Kydex IWB three months ago at the suggestion of a friend and it has REALLY improved by ability to carry concealed ... the holster in question is a Predator-Holsters ITP ... the thing isn't the most well built holster ever, but it sits "just right" and the thin kydex really reduces the print.

In the past I've been a HUGE fan of expensive leather holsters but this Kydex makes me think I might sell off my leather.

Predator-Holsters are obviously made quick to low standards ... (meaning, better than Blade-Tech, a BILLION times better than uncle mike, but not as good as say Hillsman Holsters). Down the road I might seek out a better quality Kydex / Concealex that places the retention on the trigger guard and offers other small improvements one expects from a craftsman. Meanwhile, I think the Predator ITP is serving me well.

A few holster links here:
http://www.urona.com/links/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:43 am 

I've got a coworker that swears by the predator ITP holsters as well...

For me and my gun, I have very few options, so it's a moot point. But I've wondered how comfortable kydex is pressed up against you.

SO right now I've got a bianchi nylon paddle holster. Since it isn't ridgidly molded, a holster for the glock 26 fits my bersa thunder 45 very well (just a little longer than I need). It pushes up pretty tight against my side and does an alright job. I like the thumb break (or at least some type of retention) on an OWB holster.

THe plus side of it was that gander mtn is clearancing them out so it was under 40 bucks. Since it's going to be a 12+ week wait to get my IWB holster from high noon, I needed something. But I do like it and will probably still use it for occasions when I don't feel the need to conceal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have tried many IWB holsters. I prefer tuckable ones.

I have a Mitch Rosen rig (including two belts) that costs $569.00 and a High Noon holster that costs $81.95 and about five others.

The one I settled on and use every day (in fact I own two) is the “Answer” by Tucker Leather. It is an ugly duckling when view by itself. However, is it FUNCTIONAL!

It is the most comfortable holster I have tried or owned. It allows for one handed holstering, has a protecting (for your body) leather backing and is tuckable. You can pick an assortment of belt clips, etc. for it.

The costs is $115.00.

I highly recommend it.

The link is here:

http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/iwbholsters.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:04 pm 

I forgot to mention before that I also have used a Galco "Royal Guard" holster for years with my Ruger SP101 3" revolver. It is an IWB holster made out of horsehide. It conceals well for me, and has proved durable. I just don't carry my revolver all that much anymore. If I have something on my waist, it is usually gonna be one of my Glocks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:15 pm 

Inside the Waistband (IWB) holsters have never suited me. Some years ago I used the Aker D.E.A. 151 version for a G19. Never liked it and ditched it for an Aker White Lightning 132 (belt slide with thumb snap), a great holster. At first I felt that the thumb snap strap interfered with obtaining a good grip but later I come to appreciate this interference as a cue that the snap was on and I had to unsnap it.
When I had to go back to revolvers I used a Aker Bodyguard 137 (a two slot pancake). I eventually gave this to my boss one day when I got sick of seeing him wearing a cheap $5 piece of rag he called a holster. I now use either a Cobra Gunskin three slot pancake or a Hellweg “Protector” Cordura pancake. I even have a Jaypee IWB for a 4” revolver, wich I only ever use on desperate occasions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

You would think that we as a group, could have a holster exchange. :?

Kind of …ah, a, a swap meet. :)

Where each one of us brings a holster (or two, or more), to exchange.

On the other hand, maybe, a (kind of) costume party. We could play; “If you show me your, I’ll show you mine”. Think of the money we could all save. We all have one that someone is lusting after. And, you just know that the perfect one is out there just waiting to be discovered. :wink:

I can bring a box full of them. :oops:

Anyone want to come? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe we could set up an online swap meet. Like most with a gun hobby I've got a lot of old holsters and grips. More than I ever use since I tend to use a couple over and over while the rest just take up space.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:26 pm 
On time out

I have several, I really like the idea of a swap meet, with members and friends present.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.