Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:16 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 URGENT: Hunter "convenience" bill SCREWS metro re 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 pm 
Wise Elder

Dick Unger wrote:
Now the CO's are kind of anal about that stuff.

So, once again, the ball is in the hands of the Republican PAWLENTY administration. A sensible regulatory attitude can overcome these problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:12 am 
Journeyman Member

Here's the email I sent to Rep. Cornish

Quote:
Dear Rep. Cornish,

While I was in support of HF128 in it's ORIGINAL form, the amendments in committees were turning more and more into something I didn't like. Other gun owners/hunters I have spoken with share this opinion.
Now the latest version of this bill which has been rolled into HF1238 has become so bastardized that it is only a shadow of the original bill.

Putting restrictions on firearms law in the 7 county metro that are different from the rest of the state flies in the face of the state preemption law and is the the first step in a slippery slope of having vastly differing firearms law from county to county and city to city. Gun owners, permit to carry holders and hunters DO NOT want that.

This was a bill to ease some restrictions for hunters that has now been turned on it head by the anti gun members who have used it to try to pass things that they couldn't get passed before.

The whole idea of the State preemption law is that firearms laws are CONSISTENT THROUGHOUT THE STATE.

I am well aware that compromises are made in legislation, but sometimes it goes to far and the original intent of the bill is lost. This is one of those times.

If we can't remove the firearms case requirement from the law then so be it.
Please do not allow this bill to go forward in it's current form. I am well aware
of your past support on gun issues and have appreciated it. However this bill
in it current form has been hijacked by those who do not support gun owners
rights and does a disservice to us all.

Respectfully,

I sent essentialy the same email to Reps Dill and Seifert. I post any responses I receive.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 am 
Longtime Regular

A good way to think about this bill, might be to imagine how the new"gun case law" would be explained in the Hunting Regulations, and Firearns Safety Training.

The regs would explain and define the "Seven County Metro" area as a special area. Probably, there would be a map showing the precise boundaries of the "Metro Gun Transport Zone" along with a description of the boundaries. Minnesota gun owners would learn the concept of gun laws being different in the Metro vs " Greater(?) Minnesota".

The law would, naturally enough, have to be covered in Firearms Training, so youngsters would be taught that the Metro Gun Transport Zone is "special". The instructers would, of course, have to justify the rule; imagine the discussion in these classes. Firearms Safety Instructors would be teaching the benefits of gun conrol laws.

Next session Duluth and Rochester will want to be special as well. :roll:

The session after that, every hamlet will want to decide for themselves whether or not they are "special". And it won't be limited to gun transport, they'll be special in other ways as well. :roll:

We've got to hang together. Kimberman is really right about this, I'm pretty sure, although it took awhile for me, (a rural gun case hater), to come around. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 am 
The Man

Nah. Didn't take you long at all. The rest of the above? Dead on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
A good way to think about this bill, might be to imagine how the new"gun case law" would be explained in the Hunting Regulations, and Firearns Safety Training.

The regs would explain and define the "Seven County Metro" area as a special area. Probably, there would be a map showing the precise boundaries of the "Metro Gun Transport Zone" along with a description of the boundaries. Minnesota gun owners would learn the concept of gun laws being different in the Metro vs " Greater(?) Minnesota".

The law would, naturally enough, have to be covered in Firearms Training, so youngsters would be taught that the Metro Gun Transport Zone is "special". The instructers would, of course, have to justify the rule; imagine the discussion in these classes. Firearms Safety Instructors would be teaching the benefits of gun conrol laws.

Next session Duluth and Rochester will want to be special as well. :roll:

The session after that, every hamlet will want to decide for themselves whether or not they are "special". And it won't be limited to gun transport, they'll be special in other ways as well. :roll:

We've got to hang together. Kimberman is really right about this, I'm pretty sure, although it took awhile for me, (a rural gun case hater), to come around. :?

May I quote that in an e-mail to the board at my gun club? It's a great way to calmly explain why we NEED to kill this bill even though its authors are good pro-gun legislators and the original intent was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:03 am 
Wise Elder

The answer to the argument that we are "taking back right incrementally" is that they anti-gun Metro liberal anti-gun leadership of the DFL is letting us. They would not if they weren't getting something MORE valuable to them.

Yup, a tiny "convenience" for a few hunters (let's exaggerate and say 50,000) at the expense, down the road, of the 1,500,000 gun owners, including those who hunt, in the 7-county Metro area. NRA has just agreed that the Metro area is "special." "Special" does not mean better in American politics.

Last edited by kimberman on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Email sent.

Quote:
Rep. Cornish,
Good morning. I appreciate all work and support you provide to help the citizens of MN legally exercise their second amendment rights. I also recognize the all the work you have put into HF128 which I was very excited to see get passed. All though I live in the southwest corner of the state I am very against this bill as it currently. We cannot and must not allow the antigun folks get their way and create a patchwork of different laws for different areas. A gun owner or hunter in the metro area should not be treated any differently than myself. This would set a bad precedent, be very dangerous and unwise. We must be guided by principle on this issue. I recognize that you have invested a bunch time, energy and political capital in this bill, which I appreciate, but please do not be short sighted and vote for this bill in its current form. It will only result in a short term benefit for some hunters but hurt our state as a whole.
Respestfully,

Jayson Gilbertson
Brewster, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 am 
Wise Elder

Received in an e-mail from a Metro gun owner:
Quote:
The second-class citizen issue can be expanded to include the entire state as well.

The [bill's CARVE-OUT that creates second-class gun owners extends beyond the Metro area] and includes all city’s of 2,500 population or more. By my count that is approximately 256 cities in Minnesota. You can add another 57 who are at least 2,000 but less than 2,500 who could soon be large enough to fall under the ban. Of these 322 cities, 175 are not within the seven county metro area.

How many gun ranges and gun clubs does this immediately [affect], all over the state?

See for yourself http://www.lmic.state.mn.us/datanetweb/ ... report.php

Last edited by kimberman on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Deleted to avoid confusion of topic

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Can someone enumerate some talking points and the reasons they are important. I think I understand the issue and I'd like to make a couple of calls; I just want to make sure I stay on point and don't stray.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 pm 

Just emailed Cornish and told him I would be happy to case my shotgun if it meant NOT making the metro gun owners second class gun owners. Will keep you posted when I get a reply.

Oh, and thank you Kimberman for watching this like a hawk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:49 pm 
Wise Elder

Rep. David Dill (D-Crane Lake) is the CHIEF author, not Rep. Cornish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I sent emails to the 3 of them.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 pm 

Dear Mr. Cornish:

I note that there have been recent amendments to Rep. Dill's bill deregulating carriage of firearms in motor vehicles.

Speaking as an outstate resident, I find the restrictions specific to the 7-county metro area to be odious. The precedent of special gun laws for certain counties is one I would be loathe to see become law. Combined with the other restrictions now in place in this bill, I believe that this bill would be a net negative for hunters and other gun owners if it were to pass.

Please work to remove the restrictions from this bill even if doing so makes it unlikely to achieve passage in this session.

Kindest regards,

<<real name and address>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

Traveler wrote:
What is with this Cornish person? His logic line just does not make it: Because I did (*) I can now do (*).

That would be very much like a teenage boy telling a neighbor father: I cut your lawn. Now I will violate your daughter.

Politicians are all cut from the same cloth. They can never, ever, be trusted.

Agreed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.