Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 UC student charged for carrying concealed revolver 
 Post subject: UC student charged for carrying concealed revolver
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
UC student charged for carrying concealed revolver
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Staff Report

A 22-year-old University of Cincinnati student learned the legal nuances of a concealed carry permit the hard way, after Oxford police arrested him over a .38 caliber revolver hidden in his pocket.

Udoamaka Nwamu, 7752 Montgomery Road #14, Cincinnati, was issued a citation for carrying a concealed weapon on Jan. 25, despite possessing a concealed carry permit. Nwamu reportedly did not inform officers of the weapon immediately upon making contact with them, which police said is legally required.

Police pulled over a vehicle driving without its headlights activated shortly after 3 a.m., with records revealing the driver had been operating with a suspended license. An officer approached the passenger side of the vehicle, observing Nwamu seated in the back seat with his hands in his jacket pocket.

The driver was notified that the vehicle would be towed, with the passengers asked to exit the vehicle and turn around so officers to pat them down. An officer asked Nwamu if he had any weapons on him prior to checking him, at which point Nwamu reportedly said he was carrying a revolver.

Officers handcuffed Nwamu and confiscated a .38 caliber revolver loaded with five rounds from a holster in his pocket. Nwamu told police he possessed a concealed carrying permit, which was located in one of his ID holders. He was taken to the Oxford Police Department, issued a citation for carrying a concealed weapon and later released.

It seems Ohio has a duty to inform on police contact clause. I'd say it sounds like he informed them at the right time because he was in the backseat and the police contact was with the driver. As soon as the police talked to him directly, or asked him to get out of the car would be when I would notify the officer.

Applying this to MN, if you are in the backseat of a car and a police officer asks the dirver if he is armed, are you required to pipe up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I believe that any time you see an officer of the law, uniformed or not, you are required to gain their attention by yelling, waving, whistling (even if you are driving an automobile) and yelling out "I've got a gun!" with a huge smile on your face. :roll:

On second thought, the smile might be optional. You will have to check with Ohio authorities on that. :cry:

Thank God and a few of the members here for giving us a sane and workable carry law in Minnesota.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I expect law abiding permit holders to inform me if I ask them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

As a permit holder in MN, you are required to inform an officer whether or not you have a firearm, if asked.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I believe in OH, it is SOP for the police to hassel any and all CCW permit holders, regardless of situation. This is according to Buckeyefirearms.org and all the isolated incidents they post of just this very occurance. YMMV.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm 
Journeyman Member

tman065 wrote:
jdege wrote:
The proper phrasing is "excuse me while I whip this out..."

A movie quote that I have used many times.

Long live the Mel Brooks parody films! My favorite is History of the World Part I

that is by far his best movie ever.

and on topic:
i only seem to get pulled over when not carrying so i have yet to run into this but i wouldn't inform unless i thought he could see it from his vantage point or if i had to reach past it. more so as to not get shot while retrieving my wallet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

TLRSKUNK wrote:

Quote:
i only seem to get pulled over when not carrying

Sounds like you need to start carrying more often or start slowing down! :D

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UC student charged for carrying concealed revolver
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 am 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

Applying this to MN, if you are in the backseat of a car and a police officer asks the dirver if he is armed, are you required to pipe up?

I read the law as I have to tell the officer if he asks ME.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.