Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Minneapolis City Council 
 Post subject: Minneapolis City Council
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:18 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

A friend of mine has an appeal hearing in front of the Minneapolis City Council, and wants me to come along for moral support/laughs at their incompetence. I understand that they meet in City Hall.

1. Is this correct?

2. If so, is this part of the Government Center, or under Judge Burke's order in any way? I'd like to be prepared when I show up.

Get this:

The city contacted my friend and stated that they HAD to replace the water meter in his basement. (Something about going from wired to wireless, I'm not sure.) If he refused, they were going to shut off his water. Coercion, basically. They showed up, BROKE the meter and pipe, causing $3,000 in damages, and then assessed his property taxes for the full amount, claiming that they are not responsible for the damage or the cost of repair. This is after forcing him to do this in the first place. Mind you - this was NOT a repair, nothing was wrong with anything before they started screwing around with the meter.

He has filed an appeal. His next step, should this fail, is to sue the city.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 pm 

Please let us know how this turns out.

Post subject: Re: Minneapolis City Council
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

My neighbor had a beautiful upper deck put on by a licensed builder. The City approved the plan, issued permits etc.
Then the final inspector said it wasn't right. They'd have to rework most of it.
He's arguing with the city now. It would cost him a bundle to redo it. He told em the City should pay for it since they approved everything in the first place. The builder followed the plan the City ok'd.
The Beat goes on

reaver3 wrote:
A friend of mine has an appeal hearing in front of the Minneapolis City Council, and wants me to come along for moral support/laughs at their incompetence. I understand that they meet in City Hall.

1. Is this correct?

2. If so, is this part of the Government Center, or under Judge Burke's order in any way? I'd like to be prepared when I show up.

Get this:

The city contacted my friend and stated that they HAD to replace the water meter in his basement. (Something about going from wired to wireless, I'm not sure.) If he refused, they were going to shut off his water. Coercion, basically. They showed up, BROKE the meter and pipe, causing $3,000 in damages, and then assessed his property taxes for the full amount, claiming that they are not responsible for the damage or the cost of repair. This is after forcing him to do this in the first place. Mind you - this was NOT a repair, nothing was wrong with anything before they started screwing around with the meter.

He has filed an appeal. His next step, should this fail, is to sue the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Mpls City Hall is not posted - well, most of it is not posted. There is part of the 3rd floor (I think) that is leased out to Hennepin County and they have a courtroom there. That part of the third floor is posted so you won't accidentally walk in there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:49 pm 

The court order covers the "footprint" of facilities which house courtrooms. City Hall contains court rooms on the third floor for conciliation (small claims) court. Tread carefully.

Having said that, on a personal note, I'd love to see this order challenged through the system. Not that I'm of means to do so. :( A little case law on this topic wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.