Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hennepin County Public Safety Facility puts up new sign 
 Post subject: Hennepin County Public Safety Facility puts up new sign
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:52 am 

I walk past this building everyday and while the Hennepin Co. bulidings on 12 street changed their signs, I noticed the PSF didn't - until 7/13.

It's the Hennepin Co. Bans Dangerous Weapons then the "disclaimer" this doesn't apply to permit holders sign. I never knew what the PSF did, so thought it may be part of the court or something, hence the lack of sign change until today.

Good news I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I work at the building on 12th & 3rd, and this is what the sign says to me: If you can't carry a weapon legally, don't carry it in here.

In other words, utterly without meaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I still want to know what these "Safe" weapons are.
Guns that have that flag with the word "Bang" that pops out when the trigger is pulled?
Nerf missles?
Super Soakers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Brewman wrote:
I still want to know what these "Safe" weapons are.
Guns that have that flag with the word "Bang" that pops out when the trigger is pulled?
Nerf missles?
Super Soakers?

Those could all cause heart attacks or someone loosing an eye so they are not safe. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Hennepin County Public Safety Facility puts up new sign
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:12 am 
The Man

halvey wrote:
I walk past this building everyday and while the Hennepin Co. bulidings on 12 street changed their signs, I noticed the PSF didn't - until 7/13.

It's the Hennepin Co. Bans Dangerous Weapons then the "disclaimer" this doesn't apply to permit holders sign. I never knew what the PSF did, so thought it may be part of the court or something, hence the lack of sign change until today.

Good news I guess.
Hmmm... I sense a disturbance in the farce (that is, the HennCo Atty's office). While I don't have any information unavailable to everyone else, I don't think it's just a random thing; I think there's some butt-covering going on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't have any information other what everybody else has, but I have worked for the County for 20+ years and would tend to agree with Joel.

Post subject: Re: Hennepin County Public Safety Facility puts up new sign
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:25 am 
The Man

Could somebody please take a couple of digital photos of this sign -- closeup and far enough back to put it in context -- and either post them or email them to me?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Joel It's the same sign I posted in this thread: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... sc&start=0

I suppose I could walk over there and take a picture of it if you talked to me real nice. I can see the building from where I am sitting now. But it's freaking hot out there and I can't take the skyway.

I could also do it later next week when I will probably be walking past there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:35 am 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
Joel It's the same sign I posted in this thread: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... sc&start=0

I suppose I could walk over there and take a picture of it if you talked to me real nice. I can see the building from where I am sitting now. But it's freaking hot out there and I can't take the skyway.

I could also do it later next week when I will probably be walking past there.
That'd be great; there's no rush. I'm not sure if it'll ever be important to document what signage went up where, but it'd be kind of handy for at least one OpEd I'm working on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I go into work Monday I can take some pics! I work right near there.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:37 am 
Longtime Regular

The signs are prejudical. It is implied that permitees guns are the DANGEROUS guns, that only LAW ABIDING permit holders can have DANGEROUS WEAPONS so some permit holders must be not law abiding.

To be fair the signs should also state that LAW ABIDING POLICE OFFICERS are the ONLY police Officers that may carry DANGEROUS WEAPONS in the county building.

The signs are purely political in my opinion. There really is no rational way the signs improve public safety. They could just as well spend money on signs that say "Nobody is allowed to murder people or park overtime." Since the signs are purely political and promote prejudice against a class of people they should not be posted on public property at public expense.

I don't live in Hennepin but if my county puts up signs like that I'll be all over them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
The signs are prejudical. It is implied that permitees guns are the DANGEROUS guns, that only LAW ABIDING permit holders can have DANGEROUS WEAPONS so some permit holders must be not law abiding.

I don't "get" what you're trying to say.

Incidentally - back to the topic - the Shingle Creek government center/library also changed their sign, but not to this one. It references the Henn Co. Court order. I'll post a pic on Monday.

Here's the sign. It may clarify your thoughts:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yep, just like the ones at Century Plaza. <head shaking> What a waste of time and County money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sorry I'm not clear. The sign is obviously prompted by the gun law. Before 2003 there were probably no signs. Then they tried to ban guns under the new law. Objections were made and then, rather than take down the signs they spent public money on new signs that exempt "law abiding" permit holders. That is a swipe at all permit holders because it implies some permit holders are not law abiding. If it said that "law abiding" minorities were welcome the signs would come down fast. Also the sign does not address the rights of law enforcement at all. If it did would it say they had to be "law abiding"? Why treat us different from others who may legally enter with a gun? NOTE THE FOOTNOTE ON THE SIGN -- ONLY LAW ABIDING PERSONS...

The only reason for the signs seems to be that somebody just does not like the law or people that choose or have to carry. These guys have permit holders on the brain. Do they only seek advice from "law abiding" city attorneys? Why not ban non law abiding people even if they do not carry "dangerous weapons"

The only function of the sign is to further prejudice against persons who choose to carry a gun legally.

Further the sign assumes that legally carried guns are dangerous. Otherwise why put that word on the sign? That seems to be a purely political spin.

If the signs do not have a logical public safety purpose why is the public paying for such signs?

I am offended because the message on the sign singles me out as a possible "non law abider" who carrys a "dangerous weapon" as opposed to an LEO who apparently does not need to be warned to be law abiding and whose gun is presumably not "dangerous".

The State law makers did not talk about "law abiding" permit holders or use the word "dangerous" Why sould somebody who works for a subdivision of the State use State time and money to put up a message that reflects their prejudical beliefs and does not make the office safer?

The lawmakers decided we needed training and a good track record to get a permit. We're not on probation and are adults and deserve to be treated as such.

In mind these signs are much worse than the old signs. Theold ones may have been on the wrong door but they were not insulting anybody by warning them that they had to be "law abiding" people to enter a public space.

These signs should come down and not be replaced with another gratutitous message unless it's WELCOME LEGAL GUN LICENSE HOLDERS WE'RE GLAD YOU'RE HERE....WE KNOW YOU ARE LAW ABIDING PEOPLE...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:10 pm 
The Man

Actually, it's at least arguable that it's an invitation for permit holders to carry "dangerous weapons" that aren't covered by the carry permit, which only allows the carry of handguns and long guns -- at least arguably, the implication of it is that permit holders are not barred from carrying, say, nonfolding or 4+ inch knives that are often banned by city ordinance.

Not that I think that was the intention; I think that the folks who designed the signage had another agenda in mind entirely: backing away from the original language.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.